Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DSLR Scanner: Lenses

DSLR Scanner: Lenses

DIYS (Do It Yourself Scanner—pronounced like ‘dice’)--Lenses Thread

Frank Pertronio started this project by suggesting that someone come up with an affordable and contemporary drum scanner, as there is currently huge gap in price and quality between consumer and professional scanners. Domaz suggested using APS-C sensors and using them to take samples of the film, similar to what Gigapan does with large stitched mosaic images. This lead to talk about making a copy stand scanning system using a dslr, a light source and a movable negative stage. Both horizontal and vertical prototypes have been made, or are in the process of being made.

The original thread has become very long and unwieldy. As a result, I’m creating some new specialized threads for future project development.

The new build threads are:
    Camera Supports and Positioning,
    Lenses,
    Negative Stages,
    Light Sources,
    Stitching and Blending of Images,
    Cameras and Camera Control Software.
    Workflow.

These threads are only for positive contributions to the development in the area in question. The project may not succeed, but we’re going to find that out by trying it. But we are not unkind. As the original thread showed, some people have an overpowering urge to say negative things about the project. I’ve created a thread just for this purpose. Please post your negative comments about the project here.

I would like to thank everyone who makes, or has made, a positive contribution to this project!

I'll be summarizing the posts from the original thread about lenses here soon.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: DSLR Scanner: Lenses

Here's a nice test of some lenses of interest: http://www.macrosmuymacros.com/index...mid=40&lang=en
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Here's the whole 6x7 negative:

Just for fun, here's the results for a 4x microscope objective.

That's the whole field captured downsized to a reasonable web size.

Next we have a screen capture of a small part of the file at 100%:

What lens did you use for this one, Peter? Was this the Micro-Nikkor with extension tubes to achieve 1:1?

Rick "who hasn't yet experimented with the Canon Compact Macro with the new (to me as of Friday) life-size converter" Denney

It's an AmScope PA4X, marked: Plan 4/0.10/160/0.17

The '4' is the lateral magnification. The '0.10' is the numerical aperture. The '160'mm is the tube length, i.e. the distance from the camera sensor to the back of the lens, not counting the threads, and the '0.17'mm is the expected cover glass thickness.

It was this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/350123872902...84.m1439.l2649

It's a cheap 4x that the macro folks like.

Peter, it appears that the magnification factor is about 20X between the 4X5 and the second image. I assumed you've imaged the grain which is what shows in the second shot then simply magnified it more (about 4X) in the third shot.

What is interesting is no sign of vibration in the capture - a key advantage of using flash in high magnification situations. Contrast seems pretty darn good which is notable for an inexpensive microscope objective.

What was your reason for doing this test? There would be hundreds of frames needed to replicate a whole 4X5 image but clearly the result would equal the best drum scanner. So is this an existence theorem?

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Oh, I've had the lens for a little bit, and I just figured out a way to mount it today. The quality will get better when my Prostar flocking material arrives soon. (http://www.fpi-protostar.com/flock.htm). The current extension tube is shiny black on the inside. Using such a lens would be absolutely overkill for 4x5, but it might be useful with 35mm, or perhaps even medium format.

I just did a comparison between the 75mm Linos mounted forward and my Nikon 55mm mounted in reverse, both at 1+1. In that configuration the Nikon performs better. I'll try mounting the Linos in reverse, but that will be a bit of a pita.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I just did a comparison between the 75mm Linos mounted forward and my Nikon 55mm mounted in reverse, both at 1+1. In that configuration the Nikon performs better. I'll try mounting the Linos in reverse, but that will be a bit of a pita.
    I was afraid that would be the case. When I compared it to the EL-Nikkor, it wasn't quite as good.

Rick "who had hoped for a chance to work on it today, but ended up grouting bathroom tile" Denney

Preliminary tests show that at 1:1 the Linos is better reversed than forward. Whether it's better than the Nikon is hard to judge, and will require more thorough testing.