Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The old 'what the best lenses' question

The old 'what the best lenses' question

Sorry to ask this old question, but your collective pool of wisdom will save me a lot of time and money.

After selling all my 10x8 kit a few years ago, I'm now in the process of coming back to large format (cannot keep away) this time with 5x4.
    Some of you may have seen my last post deciding on what type of Ebony camera to go for, I have decided upon a new SV45TE (folding).

I'm now looking for a range of lenses from 90mm - 450mm, I understand you have to buy the new version of the Schneider Super-Angulon XL 90mm for it to fit the Ebony?
    I intend to use this camera for my fine art work of which is a mixed bag from studio close-up (no more than 1-1) to landscape etc. I have around £3k ($4750) to spend, happy to buy second hand for the right lens.

If you were buying again what would you do, buy a few of the latest new (I'm sure they are not a new design however?) or more S/H? What lenses are considered the best in your view.
    http://www.architecturalphotos.net

Re: The old 'what the best lenses' question

"Fine art work" covers a wide scope; urinals, peppers, nudes, yosemite. A mixed bag indeed that does not narrow your choices down. More important would be the output size of your finished work.

I'm purposely buying low-midrange priced lenses as the highest prices used ones are often for collectors who will probably not use them. More less-pretty lenses means I get to try more things for a given $ amount or spend more $ on film.

For normal to longish lenses I like my uncoated Meyer Trioplan (triplet design) and my single coated tessar design lenses. They do a good job with the backgrounds. For soft stuff, the Kodak Portrait 305 is excellent as is Reinhold's wollaston meniscus. For wider things, I have a Nikkor 90/4.5 sw which I can't complain about.

IMO, used Schneider Symmar-S Multicoated lenses generally provide the best compromise between the very latest glass and their corresponding sky-high prices.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Jesus.

Preston Birdwell

Your question is pretty general. My advice is to take look at the articles at the LF Info page. There is a great deal of information there about lenses. Once you have a solid idea about what you want, be sure to ask questions about specific lenses.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Your question is pretty general.
    --P
    sorry should have been more specific. Looking for a good 90mm 150 or 210mm & 500mm

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Jesus.
    Amen

Your question is still general, but I'd generally recommend buying used, late-model modern lenses. This way you get great lenses for a fraction of what they cost new. And, if one doesn't work for you for whatever reason, you can sell it for pretty much what you paid.

I built my kit that way. I have a bunch of lenses, all Schneider and Rodenstock, but I could work with my 115 Grandagon-N and 210 Apo-Sironar-S and that would cover 95 percent of my needs.

The focal lengths you mentioned, at least the 90, 150 and 210, are common on the used market. I'd say you can't go wrong with late-model Super Angulons or Grandagons for the 90mm and Apo-Sironar-S or Apo-Symmars for the 150 and 210. Actually, for the 150, you might want to go with the Apo-Sironar-S since at that focal length, the extra coverage is beneficial for many photographers. The Apo-Symmar L would also give you that extra coverage, but it's more rare on the used market. For the 210, all of the plasmats have a ton of coverage so it's less critical. The Apo-Symmar 210 has always been something of a reference lens and is plentiful on the used market.

Others are going to tell you that you can get great results with 50-year-old lenses. They're right, of course, but it depends on what you're after. The fact that you mentioned a 90XL was a hint that you're after modern glass.

Any of the modern lenses from Nikon, Fuji, Rodenstock and Schneider will be very good and should be able to give you negs you can enlarge quite a bit, if that's what you're after. The main differences are image circle, color rendering, contrast and of course, price. I tend to like the look of the german lenses, but that's just a personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Amen
    Guess this is not going anywhere? When I say good, which of course is subjective. What I'm looking for is: for price quality and weight I have found xxxx very good.
    Thanks for the PM's from people with their view rather than wise arse remarks that help no one and even waste their time typing it.

Thanks Noah, great advice to get me looking, thanks for your time.