Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 by 14 inch camera is there such a beast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

7 by 14 inch camera is there such a beast

I am lucky enough to own a 11x14 Devere Enlarger in mint condition with all appropriate lenses and mounts. I would like to take advantage of the glass I have and the width of the enlarger but I do not want to go down the path of a 11x14 camera,, the 8x10's I have are about as far as I would like to go.

I am thinking of making some 60inch wide murals or as large as my enlarger will offer.

I have been shooting 8x10 as late and really like the results.
    Now I am on a quest for a panoramic style format and camera... 7 x14 which mimics the aspect ratio of 6x12 in medium format which I really like.

Any thoughts on what is available in the used market, with ample holders, also what is the situation on getting film if any ... I am most interested in Black and White.
    I can process the film in our jobo tanks I believe but stainless holders or methods of processing this format would be of interest.

I am hoping Richard K will jump in here as he is local and I think he may have one of these beasts.

Re: 7 by 14 inch camera is there such a beast

I'd bet you could have Richard Ritter to make on for you. I'd think the combination of the camera, the enlarger and the huge prints would be quite a sensation.

Or, even easier, would be to have him make a reducing back for a 7x17, but you would still need the $$ of custom film holders.

If I had that enlarger, I'd get a 7x17 and crop a little on the edges. I think it will be easier to get film holders, a camera and film in that larger size than the one-off 7x14 size.

The film area that you 'save' (14" across compared to 17" across) will probably cost you more $$ in the long run. So, I'd just get a 7x17 and some black electrician's tape for the edges of the GG and start shooting. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...7-film-holders

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Or, even easier, would be to have him make a reducing back for a 7x17, but you would still need the $$ of custom film holders.

If I had that enlarger, I'd get a 7x17 and crop a little on the edges. I think it will be easier to get film holders, a camera and film in that larger size than the one-off 7x14 size.

The film area that you 'save' (14" across compared to 17" across) will probably cost you more $$ in the long run. So, I'd just get a 7x17 and some black electrician's tape for the edges of the GG and start shooting.
    Oh So +1

loujon

opps!

Simplest way is to take a 7 x 17 camera and add masks to both side of the back . Or mask off the ground glass and take a 17 inch image it would give you 3 inches of wiggle room when printing.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

I am hoping to take every inch of the available glass the Deveere offers there for my quest for a 7 x14..
    I honestly thought there was this camera on the market place...
    I am not sure how many 11x14 enlargers are out there, I think a few and this really is a beaut.

For the project I have in mind...
    The deveere glass carrier is 14 inch not 17 but I see where folks are going with the wiggle room. and it is interesting option .
    basically I want to take the 14 inch to the max... I love the 1:2 aspect ratio...
    The enlarger if you are familiar with has a drop table and can raise the head ... but remember I cannot turn this enlarger horizontal like I can with my Durst 184.
    The focusing knobs are on the drop table which is beautiful , but I would have to strip the enlarger and that is not an option , therefore the durst for wall and the Deveere for vertical.

There for 8x10 negs for this project will be 48 inches by 60 inches approx.. as big as I can get with ilford warmtone.
    for the pano format I have know I can project to about 30 inches on the height which would mean a 4.1 magnification which would take the 14 inch to 58 inches.
    This makes me happy as both cameras then will fit into my project line and I can mix panos with the 8x10 format with both end prints being the same approximate width. the 8x10 would be about a 5x mag which is hard to quibble with.
    I therefore am looking to design a 30 inch x 60 inch vacumn easel for the Deverre and I will wall project the durst.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotah Jackson View Post
    Bob, why not a 5x12 back for it? This format has holders and film both available.

Thinking about what can be fit into an 11x14 enlarger:

There are 7x11 cameras, both antique and modern. IIRC Richard K had a Chamonix, but sold it.

There have been some Indian panorama cameras that show up on eBay now and then - IIRC I've seen 6x15 and 8x15. Bearing in mind that the exposed area is always a bit smaller than the nominal format, those are close.

And finally, there's Jim Galli's one-of-a-kind 5x14 Chamonix.

If I had an 11x14 enlarger, I'd shoot 11x14, and have the option to crop to panoranic.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

I thought about this , but I remember seeing John Powers camera set up and thinking how great it was, and I am sure yes/no his setup is less weight than a 11x14 setup.
    But... I thought his camera was a 7 x14 not a 7 x17.

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    If I had an 11x14 enlarger, I'd shoot 11x14, and have the option to crop to panoranic.

I have been in touch with Richard R about the options available to me, I would like to see Freds camera to get an idea about this camera.
    thanks all for suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len53Pan View Post
    would be to have him make a reducing back for a 7x17[img]http://www.*******.com/5-9.jpg[/img]