Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's This Camera Worth? Rochester Camera & Supply Company Poco B 5x7 Plate Camera

Deardorff Sales and service

Re: What's This Camera Worth? Rochester Camera & Supply Company Poco B 5x7 Plate Cam

These are fun cameras to have and use. But that shutter is not accurate on its best day, I recovered one a while back. Brought it back to new condition. The owner had me put a Tessar on it in copal. On the collector market in MINT and they do show up in mint. maybe 350. But on average 160.00 is much more typical.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Re: What's This Camera Worth? Rochester Camera & Supply Company Poco B 5x7 Plate Cam

Yes, it's restorable with a good deal of work. What's nice about these cameras is that they're stored closed, so the pretty parts are protected. Try to find woodwork like that today! Yes, the lens is probably toast. I own a camera of similar age in working condition, and I've used it many times. It's shiny and nice and has its original convertible rapid rectilinear lens. I paid $125 for it at a swap meet 10 years ago. Your example is worth about 1/3 of that with a bum lens and rotting leather. Much better examples can be found with a little hunting.

Peter Gomena

funkadelic

Agreed.
    Run from this one and run fast. There are many others that require less time and money that are worthy of your attention.

Several reasons I would not waste any more time with this:
    1. The seller talks prices that are wildly above the high water mark on similar mint cameras.
    2. The seller won't even put an actual price on it, so she's a novice; unwilling to research, but also unwilling to make a mistake.
    3. Even in premo (pun on another ROC camera) condition, they just are not that collectible.
    4. They are not very useful with their tiny lensboards and low-end lenses.

If you want to shoot one for fun, find another in excellent condition for around $100, and don't waste any more time messing with this person who probably won't even sell it. I had two similar experiences this month at a camera show. Both sellers brought LF items, but then when asked what the price was said, "I don't know yet...." One had several LF lenses, and another had a Goerz Artar in an Ilex and a 5x7 enlarger. Anyone that asked the prices got "...I don't know yet...I'm not sure...I'm working things out still..." But if you made a fair offer, they didn't even realize it, and refused until they "knew more." These people are a big time waster.