Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 75 or 90mm?

Re: 75 or 90mm?

Shawn, exactly! I am the same with long lenses. I just don't 'see with them' and I'm going to work on it. It also depends on where you live. In the UK we have far fewer grand vistas compared to the E. coast of the US, so wide lenses are very useful in working smaller elements into the wider landscape. Everything seems to be that bit closer and so wider lenses get more use. One needs to get up to Scotland to get 'big stuff'. Even Snowdonia is not the same.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    In the UK we have far fewer grand vistas compared to the E. coast of the US, so wide lenses are very useful in working smaller elements into the wider landscape. Everything seems to be that bit closer and so wider lenses get more use.
    Good point, the answer to this question can be somewhat geographically dependent. In the UK I experienced this phenomenon you describe and found "normal" FLs to be a tad constraining at times. I found occasional greater use for a slightly wider FL there. But mostly I photographed with normal FLs.

What camera? Some cameras will require you to use a bag bellows with a 75mm but not with a 90mm. Some cameras don't allow the use of a bag bellows and will be harder/impossible to use with a 75mm lens than a 90mm. In general a 75 will be harder to focus and compose than a 90.

I don't think anyone can tell you which to use but those are the kinds of things I'd be more concerned about at this point than which one you think best suits your vision since it's hard to extrapolate from smaller formats to 4x5. FWIW I used an 80mm lens as my widest and thought it gave the best of both worlds for me with my camera (Linhof Master Technika).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

90mm was my first lens, and still a favorite of my mine, but really it is personal preference. I just picked up a 75mm and no it probably won't replace the 90mm but it was too cheap to pass up.

Check out Nana Sousa Dias, he does great wide angle work. Look at post #4646. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...243#post850243

And if you search a bit you'll find more of Nana's work. Or even better look here. http://photo.net/photos/nanasousadias

Roger

If you can then borrow one of each and compare. If not then buy a used copy of each and then sell the one you don't want. If you buy right then you should have no problem getting close to what you originally paid.

Like turtle said, it really is a personal choice.

Landscape Addict

After months of shooting with a 14 and 16mm on 35mm dslr, I started in LF with a 90mm and found it a little restrictive. My 75mm is my most used lens, I plan to get a 58mm and sell the 90 in favor of a 135 or 150 for those situations when I would have zoomed my 16-35 right up to 35.

What's best in my opinion is to get lenses that mimic the focal lengths you shoot most in other formats. That way you still previsualize your photographs in the same way.
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

On a note of practicality, 90mm is an undoubted winner. Super-angulon type 90mms are plentiful used, good coverage, no need for CFs, and can comfortably make infinity on practically any 4x5 camera. 75mms are less common, fewer of them around, smaller image circle, a touch of falloff, and might be a bit tight for infinity on some cameras. I reckon unless you're hell-bent on a 75 then get a 90 if only for the sake of practical considerations. Aesthetically its a toss-up.

I have, stupidly, two 90's (angulon and super angulon) and they are plenty wide for me at the moment. I would like to try a 75 but wondered about the need for a centre filter with them. 90's are fine I think for landscapes although I also think, having used a 135, that this is a useful focal length too.

CF on 75 is personal. The fall off will be more noticeable in colour than B&W and I know some users like to use a CF on this focal length. I think you could happily start using one without and see what you think - this is not like using a 47XL - and spend the money on a CF if you feel the need at a later date.

It would be worth considering a 75 for which centre filters are not too hard to come by on the second hand market, because new they cost the same as a bargain used lens.

That's really useful, thanks. I may now also have to look out for a 75.