Thread: B&J 8x10 camera

B&J 8x10 camera

Little help . I am looking at a 8x10 camera found one a B&J camera extension rail lens board . How good were are these cameras . Is this something that will be good for hiking shooting or am I dreaming. I would like anew one but price is not happening . A little help please thanx craig

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: B&J 8x10 camera

The B&J Commercial View was a good camera, quite sturdy and lots of movements. It's a little larger and heavier than the average 8x10 field camera of its day, so it's not the optimal choice for hiking, but it's not outrageously bad.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Condition matters a lot with the B&J. Because of the design of the camera, the rear standard in particular can get very wobbly in well-worn examples.

I have one and I'm very happy with it but I don't get to far away from the car with it.

It's not exactly compact or light. You have to pay more to get lightweight and compact. If you're hiking a mile or so, it's easily do-able, but I wouldn't take it on a big adventure by my own power. In a car/truck/sled, no problem.

A deardorff will be more compact, but is a lot more $. Or deal with something a little simpler like a Kodak 2d, which will probably be a little more $.

It's still a good camera. I've got a B&J 8x10 view camera (field camera style) and a B&J 8x10 Rembrandt portrait camera.

Thank you everyone for your reply I may get if the last minute birds dont drop in