Thread: Hi! And a question..

Smile Hi! And a question..

Hi,

My name is Andrew and I'm a medical student, but I like to pretend I'm a photographer with a medical school hobby.

I found this forum in passing, looked around, and liked what I saw. I recently bought my first 4x5 camera (an old Calumet with a 135 Caltar S-II lens) and I'm in the process of learning the LF game. I hail from the panoramic 35mm world, but I moved up to medium format game a year ago when I repaired/restored an old Hasselblad I got for a stellar price (been hooked ever since).

I'm joining this forum for two reasons:
    1) to learn more information/get tips about LF stuffs
    2) because I'm in the process of building a custom 6x17 camera capable of movements and am in search of the perfect lens..

For 2, I'm searching for a Grandagon-N 115mm at a decent price, and was told I may find one for sale here... (APUG claims one sold here with a yellow filter for $325 in October..) But.. it seems you need to be a member for 30+ days before one has access to the FS/WTB section of the forum.
    Is it possible to gain early access?

I'm looking forward to learning and shooting more LF soon.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Hi! And a question..

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Be patient with the for-sale section, as Grandagons don't pop up that often anyways. Plus someone might contact you with an offer, too.

The front page has lots of general info, and searching the forums always comes up with lots of useful info, too.

Enjoy your camera! LF really is a whole different dimension from the smaller cameras.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Re: Hi! And a question..

Thanks Brian!

And no worries, I'm in no rush. I've got lots of studying to do before I move forward with my 617 project anyhow. (And I've got a 4x5 to explore first.)

Happy shooting!

Cheers,
    Andrew