Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 150XL and Rear Filters - Who is doing this?

Re: 150XL and Rear Filters - Who is doing this?

I'm using a 150XL with the centre filter and gels on the back of the lens. I cut a small square of black foam core and used an Olfa circle cutter ($5 - $10) to cut out a circle the same diameter as the rear of the lens. The gel is taped to the foam core and then pushed on to the back of the lens. Since you'll probably have a lot of foam core left over, you could cut several pieces and dedicate a filter to each piece.

thanks for the info everyone. V useful link Eric and what a good idea aporodagon. It would work as a nice cheap adaptor for the front too. The problem with the Lee is that you need the 115mm push on holder with the CF and the 100 without and buying both is fairly outrageously expensive considering what it entailed. If I do go down this route, I would most likely go for the 115 adaptor and use the foam core and tape solution for when not using the CF.

I'll not use a CF on the back of any lens because that's definitely not optimal... they're just not designed for use behind the rear element. However, I'll certainly use gel filters on the back because they're optically neutral.

I think I have had this argument on this forum before... my advice as a former 150mm SS XL owner is to buy a proper center filter. People who say you don't need it must prefer the significantly vignetted look, which I agree can look good but is not for every shot. It is a fantastic lens if you like that focal length on 8x10. Sharp. Very good color rendition -- perhaps the best of any lens I have owned in this regard.

I don't think anyone suggested using a centre filter on the rear. In fact, I don't think you can even do that. There was only mention of gels/polyester/resin filters on the back. It seems like the Lee 115 holder is best as this works with the CF on the front and an improvised solution should suffice to hold filters on the front if I do not wish to use the CF. At least this way one is not spending $400 on bits of plastic to hold filters in place!

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll not use a CF on the back of any lens because that's definitely not optimal... they're just not designed for use behind the rear element. However, I'll certainly use gel filters on the back because they're optically neutral.

Sorry, turtle. I must have misunderstood what you were trying to convey in post #12. I'm easily kunfyoozed these days.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I don't think anyone suggested using a centre filter on the rear. In fact, I don't think you can even do that. <snip>!

I do and I only contact print and I can use my 150mm ssxl to cover 7x17. Front filter will not do if I use the lens with filter for 7x17.

Tape filters on the rear element at your own risk. If rear filtration is your thing try to locate a horseman behind the lens filter gizmo. Can't be beat.

If you choose to go with a c.f. for the 150xl rear filtration will be your only option unless you can shell out the cash for the nearly unobtainable Lee custom 115 front filter holder.

Extreme vignetting, the costly c.f. with the two stop loss in speed and the two year wait for the Lee 115 were all deal breakers for me. I sold my 150xl and now use a rodenstock apo 150mm W - lots of coverage for my 5x7, just as sharp as the xl and little to no vignetting.

Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Tape filters on the rear element at your own risk.
    Who is suggesting that you tape filters to the rear element?