Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remind me how to make a mask in photoshop

Remind me how to make a mask in photoshop

I have an image that I need to take the sky down on. The foreground is complicated but contrasts strongly with the sky. I can't remember how to make a contrast mask. Not the kind where you invert a layer, but the kind where you make a layer mask that you can overlay on a curves layer.

Can anyone remind me? It's been awhile.

Re: Remind me how to make a mask in photoshop

There are multiple ways to create masks in PS. Here is a simple option for your situation:
    Select the sky or the foreground (since they strongly contrast with each other) with any selection tool and then click on the new curves layer button in the layer panel. The selected portion will become the mask for the curves layer. If you have already created the curves layer (without the mask), select the layer and then click on the Create Mask button (the empty circle surrounded by dark area) to add a mask to the layer. If you hold down Alt button on Windows or Option on Mac while clicking on the Create Mask button, the new mask will be all black which will completely hide the effect of the layer until you paint on the mask with lighter shades of gray.

// Atul

A faster and easier method:
    Lith film + paper developer + hair dryer and I am through while you mess around with PS.

One method that tends to be effective with complex subjects like yours is a Color Range (Select | Color Range). First create your curve layer, the in the Color Range panel, use the eye dropper to select the sky, then move the fuzziness slider to expand or contract the range of colors selected. Click OK and your curve layer mask will now show that selection. You can paint in black or white with a brush on the layer mask to fine tune it.

Quote Originally Posted by jim noel View Post
    a faster and easier method:
    Lith film + paper developer + hair dryer and i am through while you mess around with ps.
    lol!
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Another method -

If the sky is the only part of the image thats the luminosity of blue you want to edit:

- Create whatever adjustment layer you want to get the sky where you want it
    - Option click the layer and select Blend If
    - Set Blend If to blend if blue
    - Use the blend-if sliders to isolate the shade of blue you want to allow. Option click the slider to break it into two endpoints. How far you place them from one another dictates the smoothness of the blend.

And yet another,
    Switch to the Channels palette, hold down a Control key and click on the thumbnail icon for the RGB channel, this will select anything over 50% luminosity, then create a new adjustment layer, I suggest Curves. That will create the mask as the same time as you'll see. Then adjust the mask by choosing the brush tool, set the appropriate brush size, choose Black for brush color, click on the mask icon itself, and quickly paint on the mask over any foreground areas that may have been selected previously.

Further, while looking at the Channels palette, click on each individual channel to see if you already have a suitable mask, very often this is all you will need.

Hi John

I am aware of the Blend If option,,,, but I really never got the concept down and would like to know where you picked up
    the knowledge on Blend If.
    I believe it could be a very powerful tool in editing.

thanks

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by John Rodriguez View Post
    Another method -

If the sky is the only part of the image thats the luminosity of blue you want to edit:

- Create whatever adjustment layer you want to get the sky where you want it
    - Option click the layer and select Blend If
    - Set Blend If to blend if blue
    - Use the blend-if sliders to isolate the shade of blue you want to allow. Option click the slider to break it into two endpoints. How far you place them from one another dictates the smoothness of the blend.

Forgot to mention...it's a black and white image. I'm thinking what I want to do might not be possible. I'd like to make a mask of the darker part of the image. Like if I were to make is super contrasty, so it's all the foreground objects as black and then the sky is white (including clouds), then I can use the mask to tone down the sky without touching the foreground. There's a chain link fence and a lot of wires, so it's not easily maskable otherwise.

I think this image (I had high hopes) might be going into the ol' shitpile.

How about posting a test jpg?