Thread: Glueing in a bellows op a wistaDX tips

Glueing in a bellows op a wistaDX tips

Hello,

I have recently bought a WistDX. Since the bellows was full of pinholes and had al kind of wrong folds i bought a new one through ebay. The bellows is of very good quality! And at only 55 euro a bargain. Now comes the tricky part,....I have to glue it to the wooden camera directly. Well first the bellows is a nasty thing to handle and to position it the right way to the camera. I use normal contact glue applied to both sides (the wood of the camera and the bellows).

It seems easely enough. But once the two are put together they stick right away. And there is no turning back. So you have to do it right the first time.

Are the any tips on positioning the bellows ? I was thingking on putting on strips of backing paper that backs aluminium tape. So that i can position the bellows correct and then pull away the backing strips so that the two glued parts adhese correct. I have tried this with two pieces of cardbox and the nice thing is that the glue does not adhere to the backing paper, and that after positioning the two pieces of cardbox you pull away the backing paper , and press the two together. But maybe there is an easier way of doing this?

I have looked if the are howto films on youtube but have not found any.

I wanted to do this tonight but thought of asking here first.

Hope to get some usefull information from you.

Kind regards Gerard

Re: Glueing in a bellows op a wistaDX tips

I keep saying that I'm going to make a YouTube video on installing bellows but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I don't consider myself an expert but I have installed a dozen or so bellows in the past year and have at least become reasonably proficient.

Plain old wax paper is what I use. I apply the contact cement, let it get tacky and then place strips of the wax paper where the bellows will go, being careful to leave enough of the paper than I can pull it out when the bellows are in place. Binder clips can be very useful in holding the edge of the bellows while you get everything lined up.

Re: Glueing in a bellows op a wistaDX tips

Hello SCM,

Thanks for your advice, is confirmes that the way i want to do it is good. I also want to put special paper between the two layers of glue so that they do not adhere when and where i don't want them to adhere. The binder clips are an excelent tip! first i thought of using small wood clamps but these paper binders are much more practical.

Now, i now enough,....just do it...

regards Gerard