Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yosemite

This weekend looks good: Heavy snow is forecast and it will have been raining for several days so the waterfalls should have a nice late winter flow.

Thomas

Drew Wiley

Re: Yosemite

Seems like a relatively warm sloppy storm at the moment, with heavy rain forecast in the
    hill country for the weekend too, but probably clearing next wk.

Saratoga, CA

I'm thinking about heading up Sunday for a few days. Looks like heavy snow on Sat. http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...CA+CANPYOSE:13

Mr.Gale

I'll probably be heading up for this weekend as well. If anyone else is going up look me up and we'll get together for a cup of coffee or something. I'll be staying in Camp 4 - look for a big Sierra Designs tent with Cal colors.

Thomas

Look for a Northstar pop-up camper on the back of a white F150. I might be there as well. I wouldl be in Upper Pines. Looks like the best chance for a good snow is Sat night and Sunday. It probably will rain Friday night and during the day Saturday.

Drew Wiley

Snow level should be dropping pretty low tonite and might get to the Valley floor.

Here's the latest weather update:

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM FRIDAY AFTERNOON
    THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON ABOVE 6000 FEET...

A WINTER STORM WATCH ABOVE 6000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM
    FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON FOR THE HIGHER
    ELEVATIONS OF THE SOUTHERN SIERRA NEVADA.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 1 TO 2 FEET ABOVE 6000 FEET AND 2 TO 3
    FEET IN THE HIGH COUNTRY.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL BEGIN FALLING FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE
    THROUGH SATURDAY AFTERNOON. THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL
    FRIDAY NIGHT AND THROUGH THE DAY SATURDAY.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK...SHAVER LAKE...
    HUNTINGTON LAKE...LODGEPOLE...CAMP NELSON.

* WINDS: SOUTHWEST WINDS OVER THE HIGH COUNTRY WILL GUST UP TO
    50 MPH.

* IMPACTS: SOUTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 50 MPH OVER THE HIGH
    COUNTRY WILL CAUSE BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND POSSIBLE
    WHITE OUT CONDITIONS. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS MAY CAUSE CLOSURES
    OF MOUNTAIN ROADS.

Thomas

Snow levels are typically 500 to a 1000 feet lower in the Valley floor proper, than predicted, due to winter's south wall shading and a resulting micro–environmental icebox effect of cooler pooled air. I wouldn't expect much snow in the Valley if the forecasted level isn't at least 5000 feet or lower. Presently it is forecasted at 5500 lowering to 4200, quite specific numbers. In situations like this, there's simply no substitute for nowcasting. Bring an umbrella for the rain/sleet.

Preston Birdwell

Here's the latest NWS spot forcast for tomorrow-Monday for Yosemite Valley...

Saturday: Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Snow level 5500 feet lowering to 4200 feet. Temperature falling to around 35 by 5pm. Southwest wind between 8 and 11 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday Night: Snow showers. Low around 29. West wind at 8 mph becoming north. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow showers. High near 29. West northwest wind between 3 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Sunday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

The NWS has reduced snow amounts over the last 24 hours, so having snow on the Valley floor will be a 'pays your nickel, take your chance' scenario. For those of you who do go to Yosemite, have fun and stay safe.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Here's the latest latest for the Valley:
    This Afternoon: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 51. South southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tonight: Rain. Low around 33. South southwest wind between 13 and 17 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Saturday: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 11am. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. West wind 5 to 11 mph becoming south. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible.

Saturday Night: Snow showers. Low around 24. North northwest wind between 5 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow showers. High near 28. Light wind becoming west between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 20. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Monday: A 20 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 42.

Monday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 49.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 34.

Note that 5 to 9 inches of snow are expected on Saturday. Also looks like a quick melt. This will probably be the only weekend for a snow storm in the Valley this year so I'm headed up tomorrow morning. Got my holders loaded and I'm ready to go. I'll see ya up there.

Thomas