Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Graflex 23 Lens question

Graflex 23 Lens question

I have a Graflex 23 with a lens with three levers. I shot a few pics and they were all over exposed. I have checked all the obvious things and have narrowed it down to the lens. This lens I'm not familuar with which has three levers one a cocking lever, one shutter release and the third is a synchro lever. What is the synchro lever for?
    "Old School is Cool"

Re: Graflex 23 Lens question

Quote Originally Posted by ogsimmons View Post
    I have a Graflex 23 with a lens with three levers. I shot a few pics and they were all over exposed. I have checked all the obvious things and have narrowed it down to the lens. This lens I'm not familuar with which has three levers one a cocking lever, one shutter release and the third is a synchro lever. What is the synchro lever for?
    Flash synchronisation. Is there a lever that controls the aperture? There should be.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

No, the Aperture is done with a metal arrow you set by moving it to the setting you want. Shutter speed is dialed on top.
    "Old School is Cool"

How do you know the exposure error is due the lens?

The options are:
    Shutter speeds not accurate.
    Shutter not set to correct speed.
    Shutter not set to correct aperture.

If you were not using a flash, it is immaterial what setting the synch control was on.

What types are the lens and shutter, and how did you determine the exposure?

I have gone through the camera completely. Bellows inspection, 120 back attachment all checked for light leaks - all good.
    On-location 2 light meters, one manual type and one electronic were used to determine the correct aperture and shutter speeds for each shot.
    101mm f4.5Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflex.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	70061Graflex lens as shown. I do not see a pc link on the lens or body.
    "Old School is Cool"

Then the leaf shutter is running slow. That's what causes overexposure. Have it cleaned, lubricated and adjusted.

That shutter most likely has a bipost synch connector. If everything else is right, the shutter speeds may be inaccurate.

Thanks all for your assistance
    "Old School is Cool"

How did you get your exposure index?

ogsimmons,

Since the Speed Graphic has a focal plane shutter as well as a lens shutter. Which one were you using to expose the film? These are old cameras and unless they have had recent service, the focal plane shutter speeds may off, as well as, the shutter's speeds.

Have your shutter's checked by a camera tech to see if the shutter's speed setting are still correct. I was told by one camera tech, that the worst speeds to go off the indicated speeds, are the fast shutter speeds. I have had several of my shutters tested and many are off by half the indicated speed. Example, at 1/400 of a sec. the true speed was 1/200 of a sec. Even if you don't have the shutter repaired, at least you can adjust your exposures accordingly to the shutter's current speeds.

While looking at my 23's lens shutter. It has three levers. One is for cocking, one is for shutter release, and one is the preview lever. The preview lever is to open the lens when you are focusing on the ground glass. My 23's shutter does not have a sync lever for flash exposure. Since you were using the 120 back, you have no need to use the preview lever.

Hope this info helps,

Jose