Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Announcement: All Surviving Films subject to 15% Price Hike

Re: Kodak Announcement: All Surviving Films subject to 15% Price Hike

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    With this move they will commit suicide. It appears to me they forgot that Fuji is still there, waiting for a tiny mistake.
    If that's what Fuji is waiting for they'll be waiting a long time. Kodak doesn't make tiny mistakes, they only make really big ones.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If price increases allows them to survive and continue to make films, then I'm happy.

I will no longer be able to justify tri-x 320. Going to start testing Ilford and see if i can get what i want out of it.

multiplex

they have been raising their prices ( 10-15% ) at least once a year for the past 24+ years ..
    it is what they do, i don't see them stopping an age old tradition now ...

I really want 4x5 color films to remain, reversal and negative.

If WE want color(now negative only from EK, E-6 isn't even available via special-order, that's the real pity IMO) in 4x5 and 8x10 to remain, we have to KEEP BUYING IT.

that means when you buy, don't buy in bulk(like a full case, unless you NEED it immediately). Rather, buy 1box/month, or whatever you can do to continually purchase it on a REGULAR BASIS. This shows retailers that is a moving object, and its a viable product to keep in their inventory. They make orders, and the mfg's hopefully get the idea that we're still customers who are interested in their products.

just my $.02

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    If that's what Fuji is waiting for they'll be waiting a long time. Kodak doesn't make tiny mistakes, they only make really big ones.
    Ain't that the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by R-H- View Post
    If price increases allows them to survive and continue to make films, then I'm happy.
    +1, though there is a limit, particularly for films with viable alternatives, like all the B&W films.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I will no longer be able to justify tri-x 320. Going to start testing Ilford and see if i can get what i want out of it.
    I don't see that Ilford is that much less expensive. In 35mm and 120 Ilford is MORE expensive (yet I still use both Kodak and Ilford.) In 4x5 Ilford is a little less expensive but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Ain't that the truth.

+1, though there is a limit, particularly for films with viable alternatives, like all the B&W films.

I don't see that Ilford is that much less expensive. In 35mm and 120 Ilford is MORE expensive (yet I still use both Kodak and Ilford.) In 4x5 Ilford is a little less expensive but it doesn't seem to be a wide spread.
    What? maybe in the small formats but not in LF, especially 8x10
    look at the prices at badger or elsewhere:https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...uct_list&c=253

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    What? maybe in the small formats but not in LF, especially 8x10
    look at the prices at badger or elsewhere:https://www.badgergraphic.com/store/...uct_list&c=253
    I specifically compared 4x5 before my post to be sure. Maybe it's a matter of how much we consider a wide or significant difference. I did not compare 8x10, granted.

The Ilford in 100 sheet boxes is $1.05 (Delta 100) or $1.15 (FP4+, HP5+.) TXP is $1.57. The spread between $1.15 and $1.57 means the Ilford is 26.75% less expensive than TXP or, alternatively (though it sounds more) the TXT is 36.5% more than the Ilford FP4 and HP5. Significant, but not really all that much in my view.

In 8x10 you have a point. I just don't shoot 8x10 so I wasn't thinking that. TXP, while still available, is discontinued (another reason I thought you meant 4x5) but comparing Ilford to TMX and TMY at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...495+4129206584

FP4+ and HP5+ are $3.49 per sheet, very slightly more for Delta 100, versus TMY at $7.35! (I don't see TMX - is it discontinued in 8x10 now too? At these prices though, who cares? Not many would buy it anyway.) TXP is almost sane in comparison at $5.50 - still hugely more than the Ilford both percentage wise and in absolute terms.

So yeah, in 8x10 I definitely see your point. 4x5 isn't that much different though. Odd how Kodak is absurdly more in 8x10, somewhat more in 4x5, and actually less expensive in rolls, or was up until now. This increase may put Kodak 35mm and 120 in the same range as Ilford.

Film, especially LF film, is going to become a luxury item. Best get used to it.