Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak Announcement: All Surviving Films subject to 15% Price Hike

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kodak Announcement: All Surviving Films subject to 15% Price Hike

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-jo...s-prices-films

Kodak seems to actively want to destroy its business. Particularly hard for those of us in the UK who already pay around $60 a box for Portra 4x5 we'll be stumping up $68 instead of around $34 it'll cost in the US.

Re: Kodak Announcement: All Surviving Films subject to 15% Price Hike

With this move they will commit suicide. It appears to me they forgot that Fuji is still there, waiting for a tiny mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    With this move they will commit suicide. It appears to me they forgot that Fuji is still there, waiting for a tiny mistake.
    If that's what Fuji is waiting for they'll be waiting a long time. Kodak doesn't make tiny mistakes, they only make really big ones.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Drew Wiley

Don't count on it. Fuji's prices will probably rise too, and already have dramatically risen for certain products. Then they have an added form of overhead which Kodak doesn't - energy prices in Japan have understandably gone way up since the disaster last yr.

Nah, no suicide. The market can stand that. In black and white Ilford is already more expensive. This will just bring them up to comparable prices, more or less. Fuji? Fuji has nothing comparable to Ektar 100 or Portra 400 IMHO. And those are good enough I'll pay more for them.

Roger, until Kodak decides to discontinue them- which they will, like so many of the other products folks got use to. I am sure this list is much longer. In my opinion Kodak should just quit and get the hell out, leaving the market share to better & more nimble companies. This my short list.

VPS
    PlusX sheet Film
    Elite Graded B&W Paper
    Luminere Film
    All B&W papers - Including Azo.
    All cut Color sheet RA papers.
    "Great things are accomplished by talented people who believe they will
    accomplish them."
    Warren G. Bennis

www.gbphotoworks.com

Maybe, in which case I will live with Fuji. Maybe not. The only thing I think anyone can be sure of is that "no one really knows."

I'm just glad they are still making film. I figured there'd be a chance the bankruptcy (or a deal to prevent it) would have stopped it production. I've got a couple years worth in the freezer right now, so I'll always (in the future) using film at the price it was two-three years ago.

Well having "film" vs. one's favored emulsion is two different things. I for one LOVE Plus-X in sheet form. Its getting thin now, but I use it when I want that certain "look". TMX/TMY-2 don't cut it IMO.

Acros is great too, but I wish Fuji would decide to import a case of 8x10 into the USA, limiting it to 1box/person. That way we could spread the love and others could try it out. Its a great film.

For slides, I love E100G(RIP). Has a "truthfulness" about it that I've found Fuji's E-6 emulsions can't emulate the way I like. I like WYSIWYG results, so I know if the light is cool, I can add a warming filter, if its too warm, a cooling filter(or if I want too cool the scene for altered affects, or to accentuate overall color balance...)

So just because there's "film" available doesn't mean one has to accept the status quo of current emulsions. If you have emulsions that are critical to your workflow, that other emulsions cannot emulate, I'd personally find it hard to switch over.

However, when I finally shoot through the end of my stash of E100G in 4x5 and 8x10, I might research Fuji's offerings. But for now I'm rationing my shots to make sure I get the most keepers on the film I love.

-Dan

The rising cost of oil wil (and has already) drive up the cost of everything. a second factor is the devaluation of the Dollar which also drives price inflation.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!