his unreliable and/or unethical business practices. "

Recently, Ken has contacted me, asking that I replace it with:

"Ken Hough was trained at the Deardorff factory, and is a dedicated
    Deardorff user from 4x5 to 12x20. He is knowledgeable and competent,
    but has at times fallen behind with repairs due to a shortage of
    parts that are now custom made for him. In 2003 he has nearly all the
    repair parts for 8x10 Deardorffs in stock. Ken apologises for the
    long delays."

If you've dealt with him, what do you think ?

Ken Hough in 2003

Missing parts or no missing parts, Mr. Hough has created a reputation of entering a contract (acceppting money up front) and not living up to it. Promises of completion/delivery followed by repeated lengthy delays. People as a rule don't change, and I say: proceed at your own risk if you are inclined to deal with Mr. Hough; you'll eventually get your camera back, with the work well done. However,have at least a back-up camera available to you.

Clay

Ken Hough in 2003

Ken has had a 4x5 and 5x7 conversion back that I sent him over two and half years ago. He told me that they were done and ready to ship in April of this year. I paid him, and no backs have yet arrived. I have called, I have sent demand letters threatening legal action. Every time he says that they will ship in a few days, but they never arrive. He cannot be trusted to keep his promises, and if you send him anything, get ready for him to have both your camera and your money. He will say anything to get you off of the phone, and will forget you ever called.

Caveat Emptor.

Ken Hough in 2003

I feel sorry for those that have come to this venue for some direction after considerable concern that they will never see their camera again. But being a small community, reputation can be the rope that can either pull you out of a hole or hang you, but the choice is ultimately yours. All Ken has to do is demonstrate sustained delivery of what he is stating as the truth and it will take care of itself by word of mouth.

I remember an Italian truism that has some bearing on this situation - A person that is born round does not die square. The point being that a person demonstrates who they really are by their actions over time and good or bad, that is who they really are. I will bet that just like Clay, there are many others that are in various stages of dissatisfaction with Ken as we speak.

Ken Hough in 2003

I've only attempted to buy a single part (no service) from Ken on one ocassion. That was enough to leave a bad taste in my mouth. He had the part in stock, yet after numerous contacts it still took him six weeks to deliver. He is simply not a businessman. Then again, he's no Ron Wisner!

Ken Hough in 2003

I replaced the handle on my 8x10 'dorff with parts from Ken. He talked me through the whole process and even sent me extra split rivets at no charge after I screwed one up while installing the new hardware, so my experience with him is contrary to others here, but I thought I should mention it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Clay

Ken Hough in 2003

Just so everyone knows who we are dealing with, I have copied the email he sent me on March 12, 2003

He cashed the check I sent him immediately, and now will not pick the phone when I call. John, you are just plain lucky. I have consulted an attorney, and he says that the amount is so small that it really is not worthwhile to pursue legal action. So the best I can do at this point is let everyone know what an unreliable and dishonest person he is. The fact that he had the gall to write to QT and ask that his mention in the LF forum resources page be changed just sends me over the edge. If anything, he may be worse now than he has ever been. At any rate, here is the sort of email any future customers are likely to get:

Hi Clay, The backs are finally finished. Both split on a seam. One worse than the other. They pulled together fine and have stayed a couple of months under different temp. conditions. I replaced the springs on the 4x5 back and exchanged the 5x7 frame on the other. The 5x7 glass frame was worn on the "loading" side so I put a nice used one on.

Refinish 4x5 back...........................150.00 4 Springs 45.00, 1 shackle 10.00 55.00 Refinish 5x7 Back ........................ 150.00 Exchange frame....................... 30.00 (new 90.00) Sub Total......................................385.00 Shipping....................................... 10.00 Total..........................................$ 395.00

I discounted the refinish price by 50.00 a back and did not charge you for the split repair. Thanks, Ken

******Ken Hough Photographic Repair****** Specializing in Deardorff Refinishing Lens Recementing and Shutter repair Contributor to McKeowns Price Guide Deardorff Section Custom machined Photographic items Text Contents Copyright 1999 KHPR http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/ Est. 1980

Ken Hough in 2003

While I certainly have empathy with everyone who has had negative experiences, my past dealings with Ken always worked out the way I hoped. Goods delivered as promised whether purchased directly from him or on eBay. Ken has never been the fastest person on the planet, but I learned in large format a long time ago to discount any announced delivery date (except from Dick Phillips or Fred Newman). I’d buy from Ken again.

Mike
    “You can’t have everything. Where would you put it?”

Clay

Ken Hough in 2003

Notice in the email he sent that he says they are 'finished'. That was on March 12. It is December 16 right now, and nary a back to be seen, 9 months later. He picked up one call from me during this time period when I called from a phone number that was not my normal number. The rest of the time, no answer.

No Michael, if you had good luck with him, then the operative word is 'luck'. It is not a question of 'slow'. It is a question of honesty and integrity. He represents that a job is finished, when it in fact is not. He gets your money, and then forgets about you.

There are some really good people in this business who have integrity, notably Keith Canham and Dick Phillips. I would advise people who have a low pain threshold to steer all your business their direction.

Ken Hough in 2003

I am not a Deardorff user and not a customer of Ken hough but I have been reading this thread with interest as I am one of the many who have suffered similarly at the hands of Ron Wisner. As one who has suffered interminable waits for supposedly in-stick parts I can easily empathize with all the negative posts but I do think there are a couple of things to consider in Mr. Hough's defense.

First, most of the posts do seem to point out that he is a really terrible businessman (as others have stated) but does od quality work when it gets done. Second, are there anby other choices out there? I mean, I can't help but think all this is over someone who is trying to keep a long discontinued product up and running. A camera for which parts have become increasingly scarce or nonexistant. Ever tried to do this with other long discontinued products? I suspect you will find similar complaints and issues.