Thread: 300 Fujinon-C and 305 G-Claron

300 Fujinon-C and 305 G-Claron

Although the Fujinon lens is lighter, is multi-coated, and takes smaller filters, the two lenses require the same sized shutter, and appear to have an almost identical image circle. The G-Claron resolution has been measured by Perez and Thallman, and appears to be outstanding... has anyone ever measured the resolution of the Fujinon ?

I own a 240 Fujinon A, and it's supposed to be a process lens, but performs wonderfully at infinity. This appears to be the case with the 305 G-Claron as well. Is the 300 Fujinon C in the same category as other C lenses, IE one small step below lenses like the G-Claron and Fujinon A ?

(Apologies if this sounds like a quest for the "magic bullet". I guess to the makers of these lenses, lenses can be, in and of themselves, a work of art).

Ken,

I've owned and used both these lenses. The G-Claron has a MUCH larger IC than it's published specs and will cover 11x14 with movements. The Fuji-C is good up to 8x10 only. Subjectively I find the G-Claron to be the sharper lens. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Roger...

Hi Ken,

Do you have any images up on the 'net shot with the Fuji A? I was thinking of getting one for portraits, etc.

Thanks

This photo was taken with a Fujnon 240 lens. In the 12x15 print, you can clearly see details in the legs and wings of the fly on the lower right.

There are other images on my web site which were made with the same lens, but I there are no detail crops to accompany them. They are all full of details which require a large print to appreciate, like the tiny crystalline water droplets among the pine needles to the right in this image

Oops...Try again:

This photo was taken with a Fujnon 240 lens. In the 12x15 print, you can clearly see details in the legs and wings of the fly on the lower right

Oops again - Sorry !

This photo was taken with a Fujnon 240 lens. In the 12x15 print, you can clearly see details in the legs and wings of the fly on the lower right

Hello Ken,

A better comparison would be the Fujinon 300 A, hard to find but that hard and a spectacular performer. There was a thread that had a number of mentions of the lens a few weeks ago. I use this lens a lot and will see what I can scan to show performance.

Ted

Thanks Ken. I'll have to start saving my pennies...