Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Kodak increasing film prices by 15%

Re: Kodak increasing film prices by 15%

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    The USPS has to ask permission from Congress every time it wants to change its business structure. One major reason its has lost so much money is that Congress has made them prefund future medical and retirement benefits. No other government entity or private company works within these restraints.
    Understood. But if the USPS were allowed to raise prices to offset that $5 Billion loss, postage would be more than 44 cents.

Also, private companies do have to fund their pension obligations. That's why so many are trying to get out from under that and discontinue them. Kodak being a prime example.

As consumers we are fortunate to still have choices. It seems to me that many LF and ULF photographers are willing ready and able to shift gears from what they really want to what they can get at the right price point. It was not always that way.

From the Nov/Dec 1990 View Camera Magazine page 19. Super XX in 8x20 was advertised as available in 10 sheet boxes for $123/box with a 45 box minimum. That is $12.30 per sheet 22 years ago.

All I know is that without sheet film my LF and ULF cameras are nothing more than expensive room decor that I could do without. I have absolutely no control over who and how sheet film is priced so I can't worry about it.

We could use rollfilm backs on them.

Of course, while I'd miss the ground glass and movements, in that case I'd be more likely to just buy a nice RB67 and some lenses and be done with it. Sometimes (don't tell anyone) I'm tempted to do that anyway, most often when I find dust in a sheet film sky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Langendonk View Post
    Understood. But if the USPS were allowed to raise prices to offset that $5 Billion loss, postage would be more than 44 cents.

Also, private companies do have to fund their pension obligations. That's why so many are trying to get out from under that and discontinue them. Kodak being a prime example.
    Private companies fund traditional pensions over a long period of time based on actuarial computations, employee ages, assumed fund earnings, and other factors. The previous poster said the Post Office has to "pre-fund." I don't know exactly what that means but I assumed it meant fund in full up front, something much different than what private companies do. And finally, Kodak isn't AFAIK trying to get out of funding pension benefits. They're trying to modify or eliminate some health benefits for retired employees.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    From the Nov/Dec 1990 View Camera Magazine page 19. Super XX in 8x20 was advertised as available in 10 sheet boxes for $123/box with a 45 box minimum. That is $12.30 per sheet 22 years ago.
    If its costs rose in proportion to other films, Super-XX would be outrageous if it was still available. I've got a couple of 50 sheet boxes of it in 8x10. Maybe I should consider selling it so I can afford some of the new stuff.
    Naaaahhhhh!!!

multiplex

kodak has been increasing their prices by 15% for a long long time.
    i remember having a conversation with someone i worked for in the 1980s
    and she said at least once a year their prices go up ( and that was 30 years ago )

2001, i bought tmy sheets, 100 sheet 4x5 boxes, they were 65$
    2010, i bought tmy sheets, 50 sheet 4x5 boxes, .. 75$ea

its getting to be less expensive to make dry plates

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Private companies fund traditional pensions over a long period of time based on actuarial computations, employee ages, assumed fund earnings, and other factors. The previous poster said the Post Office has to "pre-fund." I don't know exactly what that means but I assumed it meant fund in full up front, something much different than what private companies do. And finally, Kodak isn't AFAIK trying to get out of funding pension benefits. They're trying to modify or eliminate some health benefits for retired employees.
    I have heard this reported several times on the radio. The US Post Office has lately been profitable, quite profitable, but legislation was enacted which forces it to provide in advance for the pensions of employees, even those not yet hired.

As we are obliged to steer clear of political discussion, I can only suggest that perhaps there are a variety of forces at play.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McElroy View Post
    The USPS has to ask permission from Congress every time it wants to change its business structure. One major reason its has lost so much money is that Congress has made them prefund future medical and retirement benefits. No other government entity or private company works within these restraints.
    hard to believe it is written into the constitution ... and the future benefits ---- 70 years into the future ! ---

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    Someone on, I think, APUG said they found a 100-ft roll of 35mm Tri X with a sticker of $17.xx
    That was me. It expired in 1982, so it's over 30 years old. For reference, about 5 years ago, you could get the same thing for $45-50. Now it's $65.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Langendonk View Post

Don't want to get in a political argument, but I'd be shocked if private companies had to pre fund their pension obligations 75 years into the future like the USPS is required to.