Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak increasing film prices by 15%

Re: Kodak increasing film prices by 15%

You sure the post office isn't running Kodak?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    If it was, we'd have all the film we want for a reasonable price. This is based on a Postal Service that handles 1/3 of the world's mail for a mere 44 cents for a letter anywhere in the US...and not much more to anywhere in the world (almost -- can one mail anything to Cuba?)

Quality control might be an issue...

Vaughn

Brian Kosoff wrote here, a while back, a very compelling list of expenses for a photographic outing.

As I recall, meals, lodging and fuel were far more expensive than film. If we consider car rental and/or air tickets, the price of film dwindles to relative insignificance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Brian Kosoff wrote here, a while back, a very compelling list of expenses for a photographic outing.

As I recall, meals, lodging and fuel were far more expensive than film. If we consider car rental and/or air tickets, the price of film dwindles to relative insignificance.
    Also learn to edit before one sets up the camera and when looking at the GG. I spent 6 months photographing it NZ/Australia and exposed 75 sheets of film -- got a solid 20 print portfolio. The cost of the film (it was only 4x5 B&W) was way below the radar compared to any of my other costs! I just bought 50 sheets of 8x10 FP4+ -- okay, a big bite out of the old budget, but paid out of earnings giving a workshop and the film will last me months. I am thankful I could buy it and it was there to buy!

Vaughn

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    It's either raise prices now or exit the film business entirely now. Which would you have them do?

As volume goes down, there's less film to carry the fixed costs of the factory and the labor; Kodak's cost to produce the film therefore goes up. They are just passing that cost along to us. You didn't really expect a bankrupt company to sell you film at a loss did you?
    Of course not... And I don't mind paying more for film, specially if the additional profits go to the retirees they are trying to screw instead of executives. I also wouldn't think they will sell at a loss but didn't they state that film was one of the few profitable lines of their business?

Cheers!

The price of film is going up, just like groceries. Kodak is already expensive and when they raise prices even higher that is bound to cause grumbling from hobbyists like me. Pros OTOH can pay whatever is neccessary and pass the expense on to their clients and good for them!
    For me, complaining about the price of Kodak is like complaining about the price of a new Ferrari or Lagonda. It just isn't an issue. Maybe five or six years ago when I thought I could afford the stuff I'd sure be miffed (and indeed I was,) but not now. Ilford and Foma/Arista.edu Ultra will undoubtedly go up in price too, but i'll bet not as high as Kodak. I'll make up for that by shooting less and shooting more carefully so as not to waste film---but then thats been a part of every 8x10'ers SOP isn't it?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

For a hobbyist like myself, it's a big expense. I don't rent cars or book hotels. I prefer to shoot both color and b+w and when I moved up to 8x10, it was expensive but now it's $13/sheet for color plus developing, which I do myself. Man, when I got into 8x10 Arista 125 (ilford fp4) was $37/box. It just won't be doable once my stash of film runs out. It's hard enough justifying (to my wife) how much time/space I take up with this moneypit I call photography. I'd rather not change my methods but we're being forced to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Is there any US press release for this? The only source I've seen (and I haven't been looking) is a UK photo rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Whitaker View Post
    Was Kodak asking Congress for help?

Quote Originally Posted by K. Praslowicz View Post
    Anyone have any old catalogs, or just recall prices for sheet films they paid in say, 1980s-90s? I'm curious to see prices now & then vs inflation.
    From the Kodak Canada 1983-1984:
    Ektachrome 64 4x5 50 sheets $83.55
    Tri-X Pan 4x5 100 sheets $43.45