Thread: Heat damage to film in the field

Heat damage to film in the field

A quick and easy (I hope) question. What are the risks of damage (e.g. fogging or anything else ) to film loaded in DD's when out in the field from extremes of heat? I tend to be paranoid about the film holders in my back pack being left exposed to direct sunlight on field trips, and Australia isn't the only hot place on the planet- any thoughts from other summer time photographers? What are the likely effects, how do I detect them on the processed negs, and practical methods in the field to avoid them. Thanks in advance- Mike

I'm in Florida where it can be very hot. I keep the film holders in my backpack and try to keep it in the shade where possible, but I don't take any special precautions. I'm usually out for about a half-day. I've never noticed any heat related problems.

I knew it was warm somewhere as I scraped ice off my windshield for 10 minutes this AM at about 06°f. Assuming you've stored your film at the perfect 55°f it can tolerate some 90 to 100°f temps for a time with no affect. Temperature degradation is additive over time. If it sat for months at 95° the effect would be there. Or for a very short time at 160° in a car trunk. Here in Nevada we load our film magazines for field testing and sometimes that film sits in direct sun light at 90+° for 7 hours before an event that is going to be recorded with no apparent effects. I wouldn't worry too much. The film can probably tolerate more heat than the humans that are carting it around.