Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a great workshop in 2012

Looking for a great workshop in 2012

first off, i new to this forum, so please excuse me if there are answers to my questions in a post... or series of posts that i am unaware of.

i am looking to take a workshop in large forrmat photography includes a) any location domestically or abroad that showcases the capability of black and white photography b) explains and illustrates the zone system c) includes developing and printing (this could be a separate, additional program

i am in the Los Angeles area but am more than happy to travel for this. Also, I prefer doing this in the first part of the new year.

again, im sorry if there is an all too obvious master list of workshop links. new to thisss and raring to go!

Re: Looking for a great workshop in 2012

Michael Gordon has a LF workshop- Intro to LF Photography- coming up in April in the Alabama Hills. I had taken one of these, and it is an excellent workshop. See his website (michael-gordon.com) for more info. He's in Long Beach. Highly recommended.

Check out Bruce Barnbaum's "The Complete Photographic Process"; April 2012. It's held at his home/studio in the Cascades. You'll get a good dose of shooting, zone system, printing and critique.

I have no financial connection, but did take the workshop some years back and found it to be an excellent experience.

No experience with him, but John Sexton's "The expressive black and white print" workshop sounds pretty close to what you want.

http://www.tillmancrane.com/workshop_04.php Richard Ritter and Tillman Crane might have some of what you want.

Ritter does workshops too. http://www.finefocusworkshops.com

http://www.mainemedia.edu/workshops/photo has some summer workshops, none of which cover exactly what you're after in just one class.

Developing and basic printing could be handled by a local darkroom expert in a day. Then you could experiment more or take a workshop for more or refined printing skills.

I'll second the recommendation of Michael Gordon. I've taken two workshops from Michael. He's a great guy and very knowledgeable in all things Large Format.

And I'll second Banbaum's workshops. He does a great one in Death Valley. Not exclusively LF, but very LF friendly (and it's what Bruce shoots). No printing there, but he'll happily discuss printing with you at length and he brings tons of prints to review.

I didn't know about the Michael Gordon workshops. Will check them out.

Leo

I've taken workshops from John Sexton (four), Bruce Barnbaum, Ruth Bernhard, Ray McSavaney, George deWolfe, Steve Simmons, Tillman Crane, and a whole host of lesser known but very fine photographers. With one exception I've never attended a bad workshop in the 15 or so I've attended, I liked them all and learned something from all of them. But to me John Sexton's have been the best. Anything he teaches will inform and inspire you. His workshops used to fill up the day they were announced. That may not be true today but still, if you want to take something from him I'd suggest moving quickly.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I will third Michael Gordon's workshops, knowledge and ability. You can't go wrong there.

Wow people. Thanks a million. Will check all these out and any others to follow.

Before your workshop you should acquire Bruce Barlow's ebook Finely Focused.
    www.circleofthesunproductions.com An excellent book (and a great stocking stuffer) with may exercises to get the testing part of the Zone system in the rear view mirror.

Best,