Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Foamer

Re: Seeking perfect field 4x5 camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Indeed, I'm not exactly gun-ho about spending large amounts of cash on this camera, but usually solid performer doesn't come cheap.

Les

I am very much an outdoor guy, live in South Dakota, take vacations to places like Arctic Canada, Hawaii, and Iceland. I love the Chamonix 045n. Only backpack with lenses out to 300mm though. With the Chamonix extension you could go to 500mm FL. The camera is very nicely finished; I sometimes feel guilty about using it in some of the conditions out here in the Dakotas.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

In my opinion the selection of a camera should be based on how your going to use it - what your needs are. What are you going to shoot - what lenses, what movements are needed; and how important weight is to you and camera stability. For my needs - I shoot architecture, urban, suburban, landscape, and abstracts. I needed a camera with a bag bellows and movements for wide angle lenses. Also I needed portability - stabilitiy was critical. I shoot with a range of lenses from 58mm to 300mm. I have traded up from a heavy graflex view 2, to a Omega view, to a technikardan. The decision in my case for the technikardan was based on the need for a interchangable bag bellows / standard bellows and reasonable portability. It is not the lightest camera out there. I do not do world treeking - weight is not the most critical issue. My packsack is around 40 - 45 pounds. My technikardan is from the 1980's. There are many fine cameras out there - they all are a little different and have different advantages. Best wishes in your selection of a camera. One thing to note - a basic camera will take just a good of an image as a super camera - some of my best images were taken with my old 1950's graflex view 2.

Some of the best 4x5s are 5x7s. Try a Chamonix, Canham, Shen Hao knock off of the Ebony or Deardorff with a 4x5 back.

Over budget, but my 5x7 Ebony SV57U will use lenses from 55mm on a 10mm recessed board to the Fuji 600C with an inch to spare, 4" if you articulate the standards. Likewise the Shen Hao copy, but not sure about 55mm - I think so.

Cheers, Steve

I will start looking for the perfect camera when I find the perfect woman

Ebony sounds like the best bet (by far), but it is expensive, which brings me back to....

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    I will start looking for the perfect camera when I find the perfect woman
    Might be easier and less expensive to start with the camera.

Yup, perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Chipman View Post
    I just posted my Carbon Infinity 4X5 for sale on the site:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...us-40-shipping
    Tin Can

Sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    I would echo the Chamonix suggestions. I have had a Wista DXII, an Arca F-Line Classic, Toho, used a Linhof Technikardan 45 and tried a Canham DLC45 and my favorite of the bunch is the Chamonix. I can use a 58mm to a 450mm (the latter with the extension board). It is lightweight and very rigid and I find it quick and easy to use. And I consider it a steal at its price.

As with relationships, there is no such thing as perfect and everyone has a slightly different take on what is perfect. For me, the Chamonix is as close as I have found.
    Thanks Harley !! It is for comments like this one that I found this forum a gold of mine ... unvaluable good information. Not so many of us can test such a great variety of cameras (some of then really expensive).

Linhof TK 45 and Arca F are out of my budget (even used). So I am more interested about Toho, Canham and Chamonix. Harley, please could you explain in detail what do you liked / disliked from this cameras?

Also, what is your opinion about Chamonix (in the long term, 15 or 30 years) compared to metal cameras?

Thanks

I agree with the point of view that perfect is a personal decision.

Let me illustrate, I've owned the following cameras in LF...

Zone VI
    Technikardan,
    Technika 2000
    Chamonix
    Original version Sinar F
    Sinar P
    Calumet

and

I've used friends cameras which run the gauntlet of virtually all available cameras.

I currently use the old Sinar F, it just suits me, the way I set up, the way I shoot, and I don't worry about it, very rugged, simple in nature. A little bulky to pack, but I found a way. I always thought if it falls over it will not break and scuffs don't matter. the irony is I've never dropped nor damaged it. I won't sell it, it's not worth much. And I've owned others that I subsequently sold in favor of the old F. For the money the Chamonix is an amazing camera, not even concidering the money its remarkable. But I like working with the monorail better...

With great lenses, it takes great pictures, of course that is if I do my job well.

I vote for the Sinar F (for me)

Octogenarian

Since this thread was started one year ago, the OP has probably found the perfect camera for his needs, or given up the search.