Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adhesive holders

Drew Wiley

Re: Adhesive holders

Tim - one does need to carefully remove any unwanted peripheral adhesive residue using
    film cleaner or something comparable before actually putting film into the thing. And like I
    said, applying the film with a gun, unless you carefully trim the ends with scissors, would
    be just looking for trouble. Even the scissors need to be cleaned with solvent between each cut. The Sinar idea was a little better because they ordered up a bunch pre-cut just
    a bit smaller than the full holder dimension. I'd imagine 3M would want to cut a huge amt
    for a custom service like that. I do have an industrial 3M acct myself to the tune of over
    100K per yr, but they're absolute hell to deal with - so many different divisions that the
    right hand doesn't even know if the left hand even exists.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by timparkin View Post
    We used the 3M repositionable ... it did have side effects.
    Try Elmer's Repositionable Picture and Poster stick. The glue comes off with water, so if the film is prewashed then there would never be any development issues. It does leave a little residue if you use a lot, so it might stick front-to-back, and could possibly cause a development problem. However, it's very easy to wipe off, so a swipe with a PecPad would be good.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

We have to find out the type of adhesive paper, I'm pretty sure it's from 3M/Scotch. I cannot take a picture because it's currently loaded, sorry. But it's a regular Fidelity (besides the branding) and the adhesive "paper" is about 1cm smaller than the back, with the exception of one side (there it's about 2cm - to make loading easier, pressing the film into the corners and then letting it fall/roll flat on the adhesive). The guides are just cut away.

Drew Wiley

The adhesive sheet was simply custom cut by 3M for Sinar. At one time you could buy the
    sheets as "replacements" from Sinar. The repair folks obviously knew what you were up to,
    but didn't seem to mind. Sinar probably holds a patent on the exact configuration, so that
    would prevent anyone from outright marketing the same thing. It's a shame that they charged so much for a simple modification of a common holder; otherwise they could have
    sold a lot of these adhesive holders. Even a fifty dollar upcharge would have been reasonable and they still would have made a solid profit. The adhesive itself costs next to
    nothing; but you'd probably have to order crates of it to get 3M to custom cut it. The
    bulk material is in their Post-It division. Good luck communicating with them - it takes some
    patience. So about the easiest solution at the moment is 928 ATG tape.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Just ordered 2 rolls of the 928 ATG 3/4" tape and am excited to give it a shot on my 8x10 holders.

3M sates that the tape is 2.0mm thick......is this really thin enough to not mess with focus? Or should I plan on compensating? My guess would be that if I'm at at least f22 it shouldn't be apparent but wanted to see if anyone with experience with self modified adhesive holders has noticed any issues.

Thanks,
    Adam
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Just ordered 2 rolls of the 928 ATG 3/4" tape and am excited to give it a shot on my 8x10 holders.

3M sates that the tape is 2.0mm thick......is this really thin enough to not mess with focus? Or should I plan on compensating? My guess would be that if I'm at at least f22 it shouldn't be apparent but wanted to see if anyone with experience with self modified adhesive holders has noticed any issues.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Two millimeters is far too thick.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

That's kind of what I thought...here is what 3M says:

Scotch® ATG Repositionable Double Coated Tissue Tape 928 Translucent White, 0.75 in x 18 yd 2.0 mil:
    2.0 mil, 400/1000 high tack/low tack acrylic, reverse wound, pressure sensitive adhesive double coated tape with a white tissue carrier on a polycoated kraft paper liner. For use with Scotch® ATG Adhesive Applicators.

This is the correct stuff...right?
    ----------------------

That's kind of what I thought...here is what 3M says:

Scotch® ATG Repositionable Double Coated Tissue Tape 928 Translucent White, 0.75 in x 18 yd 2.0 mil:
    2.0 mil, 400/1000 high tack/low tack acrylic, reverse wound, pressure sensitive adhesive double coated tape with a white tissue carrier on a polycoated kraft paper liner. For use with Scotch® ATG Adhesive Applicators.

2.0 mils and 2mm are quite different. Two mils is two thousandths of an inch. Two millimeters is eighty thousandths of an inch.

This is the correct stuff...right?

Oops, of course......sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification!
    ----------------------

Oops, of course......sorry for the confusion and thanks for the clarification!
    You're welcome. Perhaps someday the USA will update to the 19th century as regards weights and measures.(shaking head smiley)