Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adhesive holders

Adhesive holders

We recently ran into this topic again within another thread.
    I have acquired a Sinar adhesive 8x10 holder some time ago and it's definitely a Fidelity holder with machined guides (and propably selected for tighter tolerances). So what about redesigning conventional holders (I've heard the adhesive tape can be bought from 3M) - or is somebody interested in making wooden holders compensating even for the height difference (caused by the thickness of the tape)?

I wonder why not all holders use adhesive tapes? Film is held perfectly, no guides needed, easier loading, even the flap isn't absolutely necessary anymore and the tape helds dust as well. Seems to the superior design, IMHO?

What am I missing?

Re: Adhesive holders

My designs for ULF holders are adhesive designs with no flaps or guides. These are much easier to design/build/load, and hold film much flatter. There's a recipe for the adhesive in the back of Developing, Jacobson and Jacobson. If I remember correctly, it's called "Sticky Easel", and based on corn syrup, so it's water soluble and easy to wash off, as needed.

I like the idea of adhesive holders, has anyone used these in adverse conditions in the field. I have run into numerous problems with extreme temperature changes, mostly frosty film or lenses but I have had some incidences where the only explanation could be bowed film. How does the tape or glue stand up to -25 or -30.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by georgl View Post
    I have acquired a Sinar adhesive 8x10 holder some time ago and it's definitely a Fidelity holder with machined guides
    Could you please post pictures of this? I went looking for images of a Sinar holder, and I couldn't find anything. I'd like to see what Sinar did to to the holder.

Thanks!
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Yes pictures would be cool.I've got a couple 'junker' Lisco/Regal holders I've often thought about messing around with adhesive wise.

Do a search here for removable atg tape. I have a friend who's been using it with 8x10 holders w/o removing the guides. The problem is residue on he film if you leave it in the holders very long.

Drew Wiley

I just posted the answer to this on the camera thread. What you want is repositionable 3M
    ATG tape. I've used this system in just about every kind of weather you can think of for
    two decades now with no issues. But it does permanently modify your holder. I've never
    had residue left behind on the film, but it suppose it might hypothetically happen if tape
    was improperly stored and old when you bought it, or if some of the permanent side of the
    tape has residue left behind. You need to apply this carefully, so that only the Post-It
    side remains toward the film, and the permanent adhesive toward the septum.

Drew Wiley

Scott - I can't speak about -30F because we don't get that cold in the mtns here. But I do
    know that long exposures in a conventional holder can risk a serious pop. Happened to me
    twice recently shooting on a cold damp day. I reserve my adhesive holders for color film
    since I'm much more likely to make really big print in color. With black and white I don't
    print bigger than 20X24, which is a modest enlargement from 8X10. But I've certainly used
    my adhesive system down around zero with no issues.

Still Developing

We used the 3M repositionable tape on our 'Big Camera Comparison' and although it worked very well (or else we didn't have problems with 'pop' or sag) it did have side effects. The sticky tape left a lot of goop on the back of the film even though it was fresh on the day before and the film was removed the day after. The goop wasn't easy to remove completely - we had the film developed before removing it, I don't fancy trying to remove it in the dark - and the worst issue was the transfer from the back of one sheet to the front of the other which then caused development problems (i.e. transferred goo blocked developing and left smudges over the film).

I had high hopes for this having heard good things but in the end I had to remove the tape from all of my dark slides. The 3M tape was bought from a reputable supplier so should have been OK..

Any suggestions or other people's experience would be interesting. I won't be reapeating this apart from in extreme cases (i.e. using 8x10 pointing straight down).

Tim
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Scott - I can't speak about -30F because we don't get that cold in the mtns here. But I do
    know that long exposures in a conventional holder can risk a serious pop. Happened to me
    twice recently shooting on a cold damp day. I reserve my adhesive holders for color film
    since I'm much more likely to make really big print in color. With black and white I don't
    print bigger than 20X24, which is a modest enlargement from 8X10. But I've certainly used
    my adhesive system down around zero with no issues.
    Thanks Drew, I think I will give it a shot with at least a couple of my holders. I tend to call it quits at about -20 but given the right day with no wind, next to no humidity and a bit of sunshine -25 to -30 is workable.
    I seldom print bigger than 16x20 and virtually never bigger than 20x24 but that does not mean that I never will so it would be nice to ensure that I can.