Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Large Format Photo Conference

Large Format Photo Conference

You'll never please everyone with the location. How about moving it 1 time zone Eastward each year? Monteray, then Denver, then Chicago or St. Louis, then Pittsburgh or Raleigh... Personally, I would prefer smaller cities over places like Chicago.

I 'spect I'll have to make it this year. Monterey, eh?

Ghosts of Weston looming in the soft Pacific sea mist.

tim in san jose

I don't understand what are the logistics problem with Monterey. Sure, you have to rent a car and drive 90min to get there, but isn't that neglectible compared to other aspects of travel ? If you take the time to fly across the country, you might as well go to a nice place where you'll enjoy spending a few days, and for sure Monterey is, both in terms of scenery and history of LF photography. About five years ago, my institute organized a scientific conference in Monterey with several hundred attendees, quite a few from foreign countries. We could have picked up any location in the greater SF bay area, but determined that this was the nicest one.

California may be a perfectly acceptable lifestyle for many but when you have been raised in rural Montana or for that matter many of the other less populated areas in the Midwest or the East, entering the vast concrete jungle can be a very intimidating event. Unfortunately, when I think of large format I inherently think of vast wilderness areas devoid of carbon monoxide fumes and six lane highways, but maybe that is just me. I have been to California on business and to visit and I easily spend 30- 40% or more there than when I travel to other parts of the US. I realize that at one time it was an instrumental part of the history of large format photography, but it is a whole lot easier to read about it and wait for the local museum to host the exhibit that display the results and that is strictly from my point of view. There are so many marvelous places to explore out West that are off of the beaten path that I chose to allocate my resources in that direction. In Albuquerque or Sante Fe a short drive literally in any direction was extremely fruitfull from a photographic perspective. With a general perspective that much of the nice property along the cost of California is privately owned, I would not know if that would be the case in Monteray or in the adjacent area. Have a great time at the conference!

Hi Steve,

I would like to put in a vote for the Dallas, Fort Worth area. Since this is a hub area for many airlines the prices are quite reasonable and they are many great photo ops. We have the beautiful Piney woods east of Dallas and the great Southwest begining just west of Fort Worth. In between you have some great architecual opportunities.

I know that Monterey is a lovely location, I have seen millions of
    photographs of that area. It is not necessarily just the logistics of getting there.
    Not everyone can afford a week from work,
    the cost of an airline ticket, car rental, hotel, and other expenses.

If you are trying to reach out to a multitude of photographers and share
    ideas I think moving around the country makes a lot of sense. Give the
    average guy trying to learn and to create good photographs a chance to
    participate once every few years without busting the budget. Occasionally allow the
    smaller retailers around the country a chance to get involved closer to home.
    We all know they need all the help they can get. California might be the
    center of someone’s universe but it is not mine. (Neither is New York)

I am sure my fellow LF photographers from across the midwest, the
    south, the great plains, the Atlantic states, and indeed the rest of the world, will join me in
    wishing you well. But don’t forget that we invest a great deal of time, effort,
    and money into LF photography also.

Yes, there will be a room for print sharing for much of the conference. I agree that this is a good idea. The program schedule is on our web site

www.viewcamera.com

steve

We are updating our program for the Large Format Conference. We are still interested in receiving feedback on the panels and field trips.

Hell Steve, you can't get the feedback you are asking for here. None of us can read!

Clearly, the only feedback we seem capable of is telling you what city we live in/near. Me? I think it's your darn conference. Have it where you want.

Bruce Watson

My question is, what are the expectations of those who might attend a "Large Format Conference?"

Is this website only for inhabitants of the Colonies or can residents of the UK take part? Pete