Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nagaoka 4x5 field camera

Mr

Nagaoka 4x5 field camera

Hi, just bought my self a nagaoka 4x5 field camera. just want to know a bit more of this camera from people that has used this field camera before.
    Maybe share some photo's taken with this camera, i'm mostly going to do BW photo's with it (architecture, still life, street and nature).

Cheers from down under.

Re: Nagaoka 4x5 field camera

Nice camera, a pleasure to use. The claims that it is fragile aren't really true.
    Enjoy it, and let us know how it's going.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Mr

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    Nice camera, a pleasure to use. The claims that it is fragile aren't really true.
    Enjoy it, and let us know how it's going.
    it is a beauty, i will try to post some photos once i got the chance to buy a film development tank.
    it's hard to get a 4x5 development tank these days, so i'll probably make my own using PVC pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by t3di View Post
    it is a beauty, i will try to post some photos once i got the chance to buy a film development tank.
    it's hard to get a 4x5 development tank these days, so i'll probably make my own using PVC pipes.

Hi t3di, I'm also in Sydney, yay for more local large format shooters. Anyway I use a 3 reel paterson tank with the taco method and get good even development, you can also use the mod54 processor in that tank, and of course process roll film so it's a good versatile option.

The Nagaoka was my first LF camera and I regret selling it. The only thing I did not like about it was the flimsy knobs that would sometime loosen when I inserted a film holder.

I never owned one, but from the specs I always thought they would be near ideal for back packing (especially the 5x7 size!).
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Probably as light a backpacking camera as there is. Mine tended to sag a little at full bellows extension, but it sure is light. Nice camera!

I had the opportunity to purchase one of these, but decided to pass. This particular sample did not lock down tightly at all and inserting a film holder would disrupt the position of the back no matter how hard I cranked down on the thumbscrews. I'm sure that was something that would have been easily repaired, but I didn't want a camera that needed work. The camera impressed me in every other regard and I really WANTED to like it. If your locks down okay, it's probably a wonderful tool.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

My first 4x5 was a Nag. It was so light and the ground glass was very bright compared to the Shen Hao I got as a replacement. The only reason I got rid of it was the damage I did by having a 400mm tele on the front and not tightening the tripod head enough. It ripped one of the screws right out of the wood and was never the same after. A great camera that worked well for me for many years.

hi, I have a Nagaoka with missing 1 of the front focus knob. Does anyone know where I can get the replacement?
    thanks