Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New article: Confessions of a recovering magic bullet chaser

Re: New article: Confessions of a recovering magic bullet chaser

Awesome article. I know its a few years old, but I admit that sometimes I get a little too excited by technical things like films, papers, film/paper developers, lenses, etc... While all important, I'm trying to focus more on aesthetics while staying consistent (not trying to do anything crazy, just what I know works) in the technical area.

However all the experimenting I have done with various paper developers (not so much film developers yet), toners, lenses, etc... has helped me plan out how I want to photograph something. Basically I'll visualize a print and think, "What can I do to achieve this" and using my knowledge will help me, but not be the end all. I still have to make a correct exposure, develop correctly, and print with the right amount of Magenta (I use a color head to print B/W)

In my humble opinion the best way to go about experimenting is to go about your business photographing/developing/printing as you "normally" would, but change one variable and work with that, carefully documenting along the way. For example I used a red filter on my Grandagon-N 90mm for the first time last week, I wrote down all of the corrected exposures. I also made an exposure without the lens for each negative so I could literally see the effects it had. For some this may be a waste of time, but for me it helps. Like the article said, it's one thing to know how a house is made, but completely different to do it yourself.

A very well written article, bringing to light that we are the ones in control of sucesses and failures. I too have had full trash cans...all a part of the learning curve. Monies spent on materials, and TIME in the darkroom, will only get us to that point of realization that another piece of equipment might be justified. Being honest to oneself is sometimes half the battle, and of course it's always good to know where we're trying to go. Studying works of others is sometimes helpful. Silver based photography is a hell of a thing to get envolved with. The best of shooting and printing...to us all.

A very good read, Kevin, one of the best non-technical articles on this site.
    Gary Nylander,

West Kelowna, B.C., Canada
    Blog:http://garynylander.blogspot.com/
    Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/nylander.photo