Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Books for sale!

Re: Books for sale!

I am dyslexic i want the picture book... Sell them here at a discount to your friends online...

Hey Austin, I was reviewing some books by photographers I'd like to buy when the financial dust from the wedding settles (after the first of the month ought to do it ) and I noticed your link no longer lists the photo book, only the essays. I take it these aren't printed on demand? More on the way? Permanently sold out?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Hey Austin, I was reviewing some books by photographers I'd like to buy when the financial dust from the wedding settles (after the first of the month ought to do it ) and I noticed your link no longer lists the photo book, only the essays. I take it these aren't printed on demand? More on the way? Permanently sold out?
    Sold out would be nice, but unfortunately I've had to temporarily retract the book. It was brought to my attention by a fellow forum member that there was a greenish cast to the prints, and when I got ahold of a copy to check it out it was bad enough that I immediately yanked them. The frustrating thing is that my initial 'proof' copy, though admittedly not ideal, was much better than this last green book. I expected some slight variations from book to book, but the green was obviously unacceptable. Anyway, without going into the tedious details, I think I've found a way to insure a better tone, and I'm working on an improved version right now. Of course I will let you all know how it goes here.

And photobymike, I'd love to by able to give away my books to anyone that wanted one, but unfortunately, I'm so far in the hole at this point that it would take an excavator to get me out. Well, maybe it's not quite that bad, but rest assured, I will never make any money off this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    Sold out would be nice, but unfortunately I've had to temporarily retract the book. It was brought to my attention by a fellow forum member that there was a greenish cast to the prints, and when I got ahold of a copy to check it out it was bad enough that I immediately yanked them. The frustrating thing is that my initial 'proof' copy, though admittedly not ideal, was much better than this last green book. I expected some slight variations from book to book, but the green was obviously unacceptable. Anyway, without going into the tedious details, I think I've found a way to insure a better tone, and I'm working on an improved version right now. Of course I will let you all know how it goes here.

And photobymike, I'd love to by able to give away my books to anyone that wanted one, but unfortunately, I'm so far in the hole at this point that it would take an excavator to get me out. Well, maybe it's not quite that bad, but rest assured, I will never make any money off this thing!
    Oh BLURB!!!

...to everything you've said.

I just looked at my copy of the book and found no color cast using a Kodak B&W step wedge for comparison.

I bought it (hardback) a couple of days after you started this thread. Great work!

Might there be a difference in the hard cover v. soft cover versions? Just speculating.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

I am actually one of the 85 million people who paid my share of income tax... i can afford a book... just say how much and i will paypal you the money. Let me know when you get the problems taken care of... michael

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post

I thought it was on demand so there would be no "sold out." Sorry for the hassle, but glad to know you have it or almost have it worked out. Just let us know when it's available.

I just went through my copy again and did not notice any green cast to the images.
    I hope you get the problem resolved and get the book back up for sale soon.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

As someone who is preparing to also publish via Blurb, I am very curious about the issues you saw and the solutions you used to solve them. Mine will also be in B&W. Please let us know when it's back up!

And congrats on a very nicely laid out book. The one I saw with the essays looked very clean. I especially liked the map. I love incorporating maps with my work when I can.

Hello everyone. This will be my last post about the book, I promise. To tell you the truth, I've redone this thing so many times now, I'd be happy to never have to think about it again. OK, that's not entirely true–if you're a wealthy patron or an interested publisher, feel free to try and get me to think about it again. Anyway, the Point Reyes book is once again available on blurb. Nothing has changed, except that I believe I've achieved a better tone. While I still can't pretend that that the printing is ideal, I will offer that I imagine it's about the best that can be done with blurb.

Thank you all again for your kind support.

BOOKS: http://www.blurb.com/user/store/angranger
    FLICKR: http://www.flickr.com/photos/austingranger/