Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to see in Indian Country

Re: Places to see in Indian Country

Grand Gulch, SE Utah. Not one of the developed, grand scenic locations - more an intimate, small canyon walk where you are up close and surprised by ruins, turkey pens, and rock paintings around almost every meander in the creek - in places you will be walking on pottery shards. +1 for Las Vegas. Go through it when you are heading home and take hwy 104 through Trujillo - you will definitely know you are leaving the high country behind.
    -Chris

Far from being non photgraphic, the top of the plateau by way of the Moki Dugway is quite a spot. It's called Muley Point and you can look down into the Monument Valley and see 25-30 miles. But the Moki Dugway is quite a challenge, not for the faint of heart. It's actually a state road that goes up the face of a 900 foot cliff. It's dirt and gravel, no roadside barriers and in some places only wide enough for one car. I think it's best done going up (the downward travel is a little nerve wracking). You can get back down to earth by taking another route that continues north. So the most efficient way to do this is if you are basically traveling north.

The pueblo tribes of New Mexico are some of the longest continually occupied towns in the Americas. Santa Fe had a big Indian revolt once that kicked all the anglos out for years....in 1680. It's the oldest capital city in America, and has plenty of Native living history walking around and selling things on the plaza. The northern Arizona and 4 corners regions are mostly native american, where everyone you see in a diner are Indian, and the radio stations speak Navajo for the news. I can walk out of my front door and find Indian pottery and arrowheads. My wife teaches 75% native americans at the Arizona School for the Deaf and Blind. I'd say NM and AZ are very, very much Indian Country. And lots of great photography too!

My wife & I stayed at the La Fonda when she attended a conference and it is a 5 star hotel. A couple of years ago we stayed at the El Rey Inn and my wife fell in love with it. Landscapping impeccable, each room is decorated uniquely, and a great buffet breakfast. It will probably be our choice of accomodations when ever traveling to Santa Fe.

When you get to Holbrook, AZ then you have to at least stop at the Wigwam Motel on old route 66. That is a time warp motel that has to at least be photographed.

If traveling to Monument Valley a Navajo guide is needed to travel off the public self guided tour. If interested send me a pm and I give you the guide service info we used last September. Have fun on your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Gerheim View Post
    Indian country? I thought the americas was all theirs. Maybe you mean Anasazi? And while you are there, check out the local honky culture. Then head east for some good'ole redneck music and continue on east for great food in cracker country. But you might want to continue on north, so you feel at home in WASP country. Have a good trip!
    Well a few years ago they, the indians, decided they didn't want to be called Anasazi. It's always something new.

Pre-Katrina I had spent most of my life with a driver's license in South Louisiana. At last count I had driven through Amarillo at least 2 dozen times. None of that makes me an expert on what to see & photograph out west. It does give me a bit of experience driving to/from New Mexico and points beyond from South Louisiana. Post-Katrina I have come to loath driving through Houston and Austin.
    Where is this going Wayne? Ed, unless you have urgent business in Austin, or a very very good reason to visit Austin, go to New Mexico via Shreveport, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, Santa Rosa, etc. You can bypass DFW by going NW on US 69 from Mineloa to Sherman and then east on US 82 to Henrietta. St jo is a cool old town that hasn't been spoiled yet. Pick up US 287 and follow it NW to Amarillo. This is HUD country. The movie was filmed, I'm guessing from old memories, around Claude and/or Goodnight. Palo Duro Canyon S.P. south of Amarillo is a nice preview of things to come.
    Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Tomasitas in Santa Fe.
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...ew_Mexico.html
    To eat, not photograph
    Wonderful food!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Ed hasn't responded all month.... hmm?

Just letting all the good information pile up. One thing is clear - with the distances and size of the sites, I need to pick 2 or 3 key sites for the trip and not try to cram in 10 places to see.

It really depends on what strikes your fancy.

For example a fun first trip to Monument valley is to get to Gouldings for an early lunch, see their little Museum, be at the gate for the self guided driving tour by 1pm, for sunset be back at the campground or "The View" hotel early enough to take a walk with the camera and find a nice place to photograph the Mittens. In the morning be up early for backlit sunrise shots of the mittens. At this point you have the iconic stuff under your belt. If you want more, stay another day nd get a guide, if not you can be at the Grand Canyon or Lake Powell or Canyon de Chelly for lunch.

The drive between these places is also interesting, not like I40 crossing OK and TX.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain