Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Places to see in Indian Country

Re: Places to see in Indian Country

Two good guide services in Canyon de Chelly are:

http://www.canyondechelly.net/

Twin Trail Scenic Tours: (928) 349-5560

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    IIRC in Canyon de Chelly you'll need an Indian guide to go anywhere (except the White House ruins IIRC). You can go on a tour or hire your own. When I was there someone else hired our Indian guide which costs more but was well worth it I thought. We spent plenty of time photographing and at almost every stop we'd see a tour group pull up, spend maybe 10-15 minutes in the area, then zip on to the next stop.

Hi Ed,

Well nice to hear that a fellow Louisiana-ian is making the trek to Arizona :-)

+1 on Chaco Canyon, but make sure you have food and water because you won't find it anywhere near the site (I made that mistake in 2003 and am still getting an earful about it). Best way to see it coming from Baton Rouge is to drive up from Albuquerque, not Gallup. Plan to spend an afternoon (or morning) at the site. Monsoons/rain start in July, so coming in May is fine.

Other interesting Indian ruins off of I-40 near Flagstaff: Wupatki and Wukoki ruins northeast of Flagstaff. Wukoki is just 1 ruin if I recall correctly. Wupatki has several buildings and a ball court with a blowhole nearby. You can probably see them with the Walnut Canyon ruins in a long afternoon (or morning). They are on the way to Hopi land (if you decide to visit), the 3 mesas where the Hopi live. Be aware that Wupatki and Wukoki are on the Navajo Reservation, so you want to make sure that you are driving the speed limit.

+1 on Monument Valley. Note that Monument Valley is quite a ways off the path to the Grand Canyon. Add another day to your trip if you want to check out Monument Valley. On the plus side, the Navajo people opened a hotel right beside the entrance to Monument Valley and some rooms have an incredible view of the valley for sunrise and sunset. And across the highway from this hotel is another hotel/museum where John Wayne and crew used to stay when filming those old westerns; fun place to see if you like those John Wayne westerns. About 30 minutes east of Monument Valley is a cool/photographic site called Valley of the Gods. It looks like Sedona without any houses or buildings. Great place for a sunrise or sunset shot or just to drive around and explore.

Mesa Verde is in Colorado and add about 4 hours to get to it from Chaco Canyon. Also, if I recall correctly the site is not completely open until June (I think the issue is snow still on the roads/ground). I do like Mesa Verde, but you are better off seeing it in the Summer when the whole site is open.

Petrified Forest is around Canyon de Chelly; might be worth a stop.

Other scenic sites: the San Francisco Peaks (including Mount Humphreys, http://www.fs.usda.gov/coconino/recr...hreys-tr.shtml, the highest peak in Arizona at around 12,600 feet) north of Flagstaff on Highway 180 (assuming that you do not bypass Flagstaff by taking I-40 to Highway 89A going north). Lots of beautiful Aspens and Pines with some snow still on the ground in May. Red Mountain (http://www.arizonahikingtrails.com/h...dmountain.html), a fun little mountain further down Highway 180 past Snowbowl Road (the northwest road up the San Francisco Peaks off of Highway 180) and on the way to the Grand Canyon. Also, a lava tube between Snowbowl Road and Red Mountain, literally freezing cold year round.

Be aware that around Flagstaff and that area the temperatures will be getting down around freezing at night, even in May. So make sure you have some winter clothes and jackets in your car, especially if you might be out at sunset or later.

Think of me when you eat some crawfish etouffee :-)

Daniel

From Chaco, Monument Valley is right on the way to Grand Canyon you just go in the eastern entrance instead of the southern entrance. In fact it is the fastest way from Chaco to the Grand Canyon.

On this route going to Mesa verde only adds about an hour extra. Canyon De Chelly isn't a big offset either from this route.

The thing that must be remembered though about all these places is that the travel between entrances isn't the whole story. These are not "roadside" attractions. You can easily spend a day or more in each spot.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

I believe Shiprock is considered a sacred spot by the Indians. Don't think you can get close-up access without some kind of Indian guide or specific permission. It's out in the open surrounded by nothing, but if you want to get close you should research this.

Good point on the sacred site thing, respecting the locals and posted signs is important throughout the area. Ask the gate keepers about the rules on taking pictures.

Actually Shiprock is reasonably close to county roads and highways and big enough to be seen many miles away, I actually get that distant view from 20-30 miles out at least once a week.

Shiprock is typically more of a drive by scenic view than a place where you'd hire a guide. It's pretty much just a landmark in a valley, granted a very iconic land mark; but still it is not a cultural site/tourist destination even remotely on par with Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, and Chaco.

My guess is that if you drive up close the only people you'll see will be the locals and that you'll be one of the only tourist that goes down those particular roads on that given day.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Of the many excellent books about the area, I love these two the most – enjoyable, informative reading before you go, and while you’re there:

1) Anasazi: Ancient People of the Rock
    --By Donald Pike
    Photos by David Muench
    Excellent overview of the area’s natural & Anasazi cultural history – w/ stunning photography, of course. Pike’s writing is graceful like Muench’s best photos.

2) In Search of the Old Ones
    --By David Roberts
    Adventurous first-hand account about exploring Anasazi Country w/ greater emphasis on the White Man’s treatment of the area since the Weatherill brothers’ 19th-C discovery of many of the monuments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anasazi.jpg   Old Ones.jpg  

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Gerheim View Post
    Indian country? .... And while you are there, check out the local honky culture. Then head east for some good'ole redneck music and continue on east for great food in cracker country.
    This is a photography forum, not a Political Correctness forum. Stop acting like an a-hole. As for "Indian Country," surely you are aware of the national tribal publication, "Indian Country?" http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/

back to Mesa Verde, there has been a lot less snow this year. If it opens earlier this year it is worth a visit.

Kent in SD,
    "real" Indian country
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Sorry Kent. I don't want to start a shouting match. Just in Idaho, we have at least five different tribes and it struck me as vague, ignorant and ironic to call a place in Arizona and New Mexico as Indian Country. I'm sure Ed didn't mean anything by it and he is correct to call it that. I just wanted to poke a little fun.

Thad
    Smack dab in what used to be Shoshone Country, north of the Bannock, west of the Blackfoot and south of the Nez Perce(who don't like that name because they never pierced their noses).
    Thad Gerheim

[QUOTE=Frank Petronio;856862]The politically correct term is "Injun Country" and you better be packing.

Las Vegas, New Mexico still feels like a real 1950s town and isn't all touristy.

yep, Las Vegas NM, an outstanding town imo too

andrew

Another vote for Chaco.

Be aware that in Monument Valley, you'll be limited to the public road for photography, unless you hire a guide.

If you do stop by Valley of the Gods (dirt road, don't venture onto it if it's going to rain), an interesting feature just a couple miles away is the "Moki Dugway". Not a photographic feature, but worth the 15-minute side trip to ponder "OMG, does the road really go there?"

Since Las Vegas, NM has been mentioned twice, I'll point this out. If you want to see the landscape around that area, watch "No Country for Old Men". Actually, a quick look at Wikipedia has just informed me that a surprising number of movies were filmed there.

Also - if you're staying in Santa Fe for a night or two, it may be worth the extra money to stay right on the square at La Fonda. If you're not looking at the sunset through your ground-glass, catch it with a margarita in your hand from the rooftop bar at La Fonda. But get there a little early - space is limited and it's a popular spot for sunset.

Hope you enjoy the trip and get some great images.