Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altman Camera

Re: Altman Camera

Helix is also closed.

This takes me back, alright. It was a special place for this then-young photographer in the early '70's. It was heartbreaking when they very suddenly closed. Calumet became my go-to provider after that but I miss Altmans. I got my D2V enlarger there and a Canon VI-T rangefinder in their used cameras section. I've still got the camera and my son has the enlarger.

Thanks for the memories...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    Altman's was billed as the largest camera store in the world and I can believe it. As mentioned it had escalators to three floors of gear. It was like a Macy's of just photo gear. I seem to remember that the first floor was all still equipment, the second was darkroom and the third motion picture and lighting.

I bought many items from them.

I remember they closed because Mr Altman was getting older and the union was trying to organize the employs. Mr Altman decided to shut the store down rather than deal with them.

Here's a link to the union dispute http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/...11/319/398559/

I also found an article that Mr Altman passed away at age 84 in 2002.
    The way this played out back then reminds me of how the Hostess company just had to do the same. Union advocates paint a rosey picture of how they can blackmail a company into getting higher pay, more benefits, whatever....and the company, already stretched thin, has to close.

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    The way this played out back then reminds me of how the Hostess company just had to do the same. Union advocates paint a rosey picture of how they can blackmail a company into getting higher pay, more benefits, whatever....and the company, already stretched thin, has to close.
    Let's be accurate here. In the case of Hostess, it was LOWER wages and the loss of basic benefits that led to the fatal strike. I have no idea about Altman Camera, but I am sure there are several sides to the story of its "troubles" with employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Alpert View Post
    Let's be accurate here. In the case of Hostess, it was LOWER wages and the loss of basic benefits that led to the fatal strike. I have no idea about Altman Camera, but I am sure there are several sides to the story of its "troubles" with employees.
    If I remember correctly. The "troubles" were that the employees voted for a union and Ralph Altman said(to himself) "not in my lifetime".
    Easy to do when you don't have stockholders.

BTW Hostess wanted to further reduce wages & benefits, which had already been lowered.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Helix is also closed.
    They moved from north of the river to west of the Loop a number of years ago. I haven't go over to check their store recently, but their Web site is still open. http://www.helixcamera.com/.

^Don't be surprised if the lights are out.
    They've been having clearance sales for a while. Rental is closed, Color Service closed. I'd guess you missed some very good deals.