Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallmeyer 5A... teaser

Re: Dallmeyer 5A... teaser

I am honestly amazed at the interest this lens is drawing. I was just curious about it, since no one I know (except now Jason) has had one. I would really like some info on it. There has to be numbers for how many lenses were made or something.

I am still very on the fence about selling it, since I am very aware I will never have another one. I have an 8A as well, but I never shoot that either. I simply shoot my 10a and love it. Yet my wife is telling me to got get this out of the warehouse and cut a lens board and shoot a few plates with it before I make up my mind on letting it go for sure.

Maybe I need to listen to my wife...

The lowest price for Dallmeyer 5a I can find is $430 in May 2007. See this link: http://www.cwreenactors.com/phorum/read.php?1,2232

And the latest price from an auction in Europe is 2,281.95 euro last year.

http://laoxiangji.com/%E5%8E%86%E5%B...a%EF%BC%8C1875

I maybe interested in your lens if the price is fair.

Hugo

The A series is "ordinary" intensity whilst the B series is the really fast one, remember. 3Bs are quite common because there was a demand for them - 5As and 4As are not common because not many used/use them - even in the era of Studio Photography. Rare, yes - but how many people need a 12x15" coverage petzval with some softness adjustment?
    I assume this is not an auction, but the moderators may think differently!

loujon

My money says it'll get $4000- $6000 on eBay & maybe more. That's what I think. I mean a 24" Voigtlander went for $12.000ish not long ago. Could be wrong but know it would be well over $2000 anyhow. Hell I'd just keep it if $2000 was all I was offered.

Hard to find a High Quality Collectible 22" f4 Petzval.

a 2007 price Has little relevance to 2012 pricing. I mean come on $430.

not an auction at all. Like I have said many times, I am not sure I am going to sell it at all. I am trying to find more info on it, like I have said many times.

I also read that in the Vade-Mecum also about the "Ordinary" intensity. I think it is amazing that Dallmeyer made a f4 and an f3 lens at the same time.

Since I am looking for info and nothing else right at this time. If I do indeed move to sell it, I am aware of the respectful way to do so as far as this forum is concerned. There is nothing wrong with people discussing what they feel it is worth. If it goes to sale it will be posted with a firm price or it will go over to the big fee pay site. No worries on that.

I also have a 5A but need to dig it out to see the serial #. Should be able to do this Monday. But as far as value for this and all of these rare large coverage lenses, it's only speculation. Ebay would probably be the deciding factor but it is a fickle testing ground. It all depends on who is watching at any given time and if there are two bidders who really want it. It can also end lower than the seller is hoping for. My experience with these lenses and Ebay is that you never know and there is no predicting.

Just curious, you found it in your travels in the south...care to elaborate? Just wondering.

I find lenses like this and their "value" interesting. My "real" job is as a recording engineer, and there are a couple of "mythical" microphones that fetch 4, 6, or 10+ thousand dollars because of their mystique and rarity (in good condition). But most of them go right into big pro studios for real usage. In contrast these puppies and other 100+ year old lenses are really only of interest to collectors and enthusiasts. Wet-plate and LF in general is a pretty small group in comparison to the digital crowd.

Anyway, the best thing to do to maximize the sale price is likely to do as suggested and put it up on ebay. Make sure no one else happens to have one on ebay at the time if it's that rare and it'll go even higher. Take a ton of pictures, offer free shipping and insurance and do it at a UPS store where they package it themselves to take that burden off you (and they 110% guarantee their packing so no issues can possibly come up) and you'll probably come out pretty well. Regardless of what you might think of ebay it's going to get the biggest audience.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I am not trying to get an idea of value. Most folks are aware that something is worth what someone wants to pay for it. Thats all. No matter what the person thinks its worth. Moving on.

I want info on these lenses. Anyone know where the shop was at this time? Was J.H. Dallmeyer still running it or was he too sick by that time? How much did they cost back then? Etc..

VM has good reliable information about Dallmeyer's history.
    Sean McKenna has the original production/sales log books up to about the turn of the Century (1900!).
    This gives the date of completion, specification (often missing on the engraving) and "customer name". Customer name is often shorthand - so yours may be entered as "USA" or name of the registered CEO for Dallmeyer USA.
    He has a website with some interesting photos of the staff and workshops (very little unused space!) at Dallmeyers. I think I posted some here at one stage.
    Prices in the UK in 1892 were as follows ( I have decimalised the old £SD system to just £):

Extra rapid

2C 15.75
    3C 26.25

Quick Action

1B 6.25 without soft
    1B long 6.75 without soft
    2B 12.8 without soft
    2B 13.5
    3B 20
    4B 40

Ordinary Intensity

1A 13
    2A 18
    3A 27.25
    4A 38.5
    5A 50
    6A 60

Portrait and Group

3D 9.5
    4D 13.5
    5D 17.5
    6D 26.5
    7D 48
    8D 58

Thank you Steve! Thats what I was looking for. I am trying to wrap my head around how much money that was back in 1876-77.

Mr. MacKenna must have had a seriously impressive equipment collection. I wonder how he came across the sale logs? That would be a great story. I would think he would be an interesting feature artist for the quarterly.

Its the history that gets me with all this stuff. Those images of the workshop are just amazing!