Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallmeyer 5A... teaser

Dallmeyer 5A... teaser

So I am on the fence about letting this go from my collection. I have a few emails out about more info on it as far as dating it goes. I would love to know when it was made, since these were rather rare then and far more rare now.I know I wont shoot it, it is currently sitting in a storage bin in my warehouse with some other goodies I stumbled across in my travels through the south. Glass is perfect, no signs of wear...

Feedback anyone? I know it has a 22" focal length, and is a f4. Yet I dont know much else on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5a.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	69484

Re: Dallmeyer 5A... teaser

1878-79 based on the serial number. There is a list for Dallmeyer, Voigtlander, Harrison and HBH Petzval lenses here near the bottom of the page.

Sean on the Civil War reenactors collodion forum might even be able to tell you who worked on the various parts of the lens, the date it left the factory, and who it was sold to. He has the original Dallmeyer records.

Thanks Joe! Anyone out there shooting with one or have any shots they took with one? This thing is huge!

loujon

The only way to know it's true value is to place it up on eBay Don't take offers and let ride 7 days and at the least open your sell to most of the world w/ EMS fully insured ONLY. You'll make a killing.

I don't have a 5A but do have a much younger #102.355 4A last style. Unfortunately I, like you I have not used my lens up to this point. The 5A is a far less common FL then the 4A and the 4A is far less common than the 3A. They all do well on eBay but yours will really Kill

I am finding out that most of the big collectors that have touched and owned most every lens none have owned one of these. I am starting to rethink my idea of what its worth. So what is the current value of a hen's tooth and a unicorns horn now?

I hate ebay, honestly. The fees suck and most of these lenses end up getting sold off into collections that never get shot! I have had a ton of offers already. I am going to wait it out to see who goes the highest and is serious. Thats the best I can do.

I have one, about 10 years older than yours. These are pretty rare, I have seen or known of five others, not counting yours.

I used to use it a lot, probably made a few hundred 11x14 collodion portraits with it. I found it to be a great portrait lens. Sharp where it needs to be, and diffuse elsewhere. It needs a very solid camera and was too much for my 11x14 B&J. I have mine currently on a Deardorff studio. Value? I was offered $3000 for it a few years back, but am not yet interested in selling.

Here is an image of the lens on my old 11x14 B&J:

Note the support on front; this was necessary, and often found that I had to use two tripods plus this support.

Here are two random images I made with this lens.

Thanks Jason, this gives me a far better idea of what its worth. Judging that 3B lenses were fetch a from 700-1000 and they are not nearly as rare as these and now they are getting over over 2000 now... It would lead me to believe this lens would have to have gone up in price the same way if not greater then what those have. If 3000 did not get a sale from you then, it would lead me to think you thought it was low. So I suspect me thinking 6400 is fair, I am just cheating myself.

Well I guess I will just take offers on it for a bit to make up my mind to sell it or not. I would prefer it to go to a forum member, instead of disappearing into a collection that it wont be shot ever again in.

I wonder how many of these were made. Would anyone have an idea how to find out how many were produced?

I'm drooling :-') wish Santa gives me a DallMeyer 5A some days so I can put it into good use. Anyway good luck with sell OldCrow .......

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I'm thinking that 6400 is fair. It is a rare lens. I wish i was wealthy because this would be a great lens for my studio 8A 11x14. 11x14 carbon transfer portraits are wonderful and this lens has a great signature. Good luck.

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by OldCrow View Post
    Thanks Jason, this gives me a far better idea of what its worth. Judging that 3B lenses were fetch a from 700-1000 and they are not nearly as rare as these and now they are getting over over 2000 now... It would lead me to believe this lens would have to have gone up in price the same way if not greater then what those have. If 3000 did not get a sale from you then, it would lead me to think you thought it was low. So I suspect me thinking 6400 is fair, I am just cheating myself.

Well I guess I will just take offers on it for a bit to make up my mind to sell it or not. I would prefer it to go to a forum member, instead of disappearing into a collection that it wont be shot ever again in.

I wonder how many of these were made. Would anyone have an idea how to find out how many were produced?
    Quote Originally Posted by parleton View Post
    Anyway good luck with sell OldCrow .......
    Hey!wait a minute. Is this a Auction?