Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Mat Cutters

Best Mat Cutters

I'm very happy with my mat cutter from Lee Valley.

They have three models all shown here.

I have the middle model (B). These are on the cheap end of the scale and not pro (or best) solutions as being described in the posts above. However mine does produce accurate cuts for small shows or one off framings. Suiting my needs well.

Best Mat Cutters

Michael, I've been using a Logan (2200, I think) for close to ten years. This thing has been great. The secret, I believe, is to make sure the blades are sharp. With sharp blades, I seldom have a disappointment.

Best Mat Cutters

Wonderful recommendations and I very much appreciate everyone taking the time to contribute. I will follow up with what I end up with after I have a chance to put the cutter through its paces. Cheers!

Best Mat Cutters

Michael if you tune in again I second the votes for the C&H. I use the current series Advantage Pro 48" Looked at Logan and Fletcher and decided they just didn't do the job for me (partly a personal choice and partly how the cutter mounted). Couldn't affor the very high end so wewnt for the C&H ... the final seal on the C&H dedcisionw as their customer service which is just outstanding ... can't say anything more. There is one guy their that handles theh questions and he is patient and helpful and friendly .... name is Gritsco and hewa a large part of my final decision.

Best Mat Cutters

I have a Logan, the one with the perpendicular bar with a scale on it. It's served me quite well. I picked it up at a swap meet for about $150 or so. You can get both the beveled cutter and the straight cutter.

I agree with Robert. The secret to using mat cutters is to make sure the blade is new.

Best Mat Cutters

I think it depends on why you're cutting your own mat. If it's just to display photographs at a camera club or "amateur" exhibitions I think one of the inexpensive Logans and probably other brands will do the job. However, if you plan to go into business, or if you're selling your work for relatively high prices, I'm not sure an inexpensive Logan or comparably priced other brand will do the job. I bought a Logan from Light Impressions a few years ago. Sorry I don't remember the model designation but it cost around $130 as I recall. I hated it. The main probblem for me was that it didn't have any clamps to hold the board in place, you had to do that by hand. Since you cut in the direction of the hand that was holding the board in place, I always had the feeling that with just one little mistake I'd end up slitting my wrist. The other problem was that no matter how hard I tried I seldom could get the final corner properly cut. Either I left a little too much board so that it had to be torn off, leaving an unsightly little mess, or a little too much so that it left a noticeable cut in the corner. However, I'm not real big on "do-it-yourself" stuff. I'd generally rather pay someone else to do anything that isn't enjoyable to do and I don't know that mat cutting with any tool would be high on my list of fun things to do.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Best Mat Cutters

Michael,

I have been using the Fletcher 2100 for 13 years and it's still going strong. While I have never used anything else, I can vouch for it's durability and accuracy. I own a frame shop so it gets heavy use and has never let me down. Jim

Best Mat Cutters

Hi Michael, Hate to hurt the economy by suggesting that you save your money, but when I was young I worked in a frame shop and we all used inexpensive Dexter hand held mat cutters (the big curvy chrome ones) and thick beveled aluminum straight edges from Light Impressions. One or two practice cuts and you're good to go - was simple and versatile. An hour's practice and you'll have a skill for a lifetime - seems more valuable than an expensive clamping set up (and about the same failure rate). Save your money and buy more sharp blades.

Best Mat Cutters

With many places using computerized mat cutters, I normally just pay a couple of dollars more and have the mats cut. I save the initial expense of the mat cutter, the time spent cutting the mats (which I hate doing anyway), and with a computerized mat-cutter there is no such thing as an overcut mat, at least in my experience and as long as you use someone who knows how to set up the cutter. Superior Archival Materials, Inc is a good source.

www.superiorarchivalmats.com

Best Mat Cutters

Michael,

I am not talking from my own experience here, but after I sought advice and looked at the specs of different models last year, I had decided that if I were to sell prints, I would purchase a Keencut Ultimat. The best prices I found were from
    Eximvaios but I just looked at the website and couldn't find the mat cutters any more.