Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

Re: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

I sent Mark a brief email to confirm if he has one and to see if he'd be willing to send over a few images that I could share with everyone. I'll follow up with what I hear back.

Did you see today's ad in the classifieds for... an 8x10 Gowlandflex? Let us know how much and how it looks, I do not know the seller so all the cautions apply.

I've contacted the seller so we'll see where this goes. I want to be optimistic but I have a hard time believing that one of these has popped up for sale.

Well this actually might be real. I tracked the seller's website from the email address listed and the website had a phone number which I just called. I spoke with the seller at length about the camera and he is sending me some images of it taken with his iphone followed by better images tomorrow.

The is the seller's website: http://www.scottdunbarproductions.com/

By the way, i get the feeling this might be Mark Laita's camera. When speaking to the seller, he mentioned that he was selling it for an LA photographer and the name Mark slipped out. I sent Laita an email just a couple days ago asking about the camera and then up pops this for sale ad. Hmm...

Just and FYI about Scott, the seller of the 8x10 gowlandflex. I purchased my drums and mounting station from him late last year, and he was totally cool.

Dan

I talked to him too and it's the real deal, just gotta come up with the cash. You may want to move quickly because thanks to your thread, any other tog who wants one may compete with you for it (I am not, it is expensive).

Its too expensive for me as well. I've shared it with some collector friends who may be interested and when he sends me the pictures thats who I'll be passing the images along to. Its a rare camera but they aren't hugely collectible in their own right and i think the price tag is too high even if it is an 8x10.

Rayko in San Francisco, CA has a 8x10 Gowlandflex one on their display wall.

I wonder how it really is to use? It would be very difficult to handhold, unlike the 4x5. On a tripod the TLR viewing would be nice but you may have to be on a ladder for some shots.

With my middle-aged nearsightedness I find that I now prefer the absolute certainty that I get from focusing with a loupe on the GG, then watching my subjects for movement while closing the lens and inserting the holder, pulling the slide. Then I think I get better control and expression by making face contact with my head near the camera.

My Rollei shots are different, partially because the camera forces me into a lower position and the subjects are looking at my silly bent-over, top-of-my-bald-head. I like using a TLR, but the results are different.