Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

Re: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

I understand and have tried all kinds of schemes to make that happen or to reduce the time lag between focus and exposure - Graflex SLRs, Sinar auto-stop down cables to the shutter than activate when you slide the holder in place, the string focus method, the slide projector method, the put them in a corner brace method, etc. It might be nicer with this in 8x10 if you could keep the focusing screen in your field of vision while manipulating the focusing knob but I am not sure if you wouldn't need to be 8' tall and have 5' arms.

It's also one thing to focus on their eyes and concentrate on that versus moderating and catching the expression of the entire face/gesture. My brain and eyes can't do both concurrently, so the old standard focus then moderate works the best so far....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It might be nicer with this in 8x10 if you could keep the focusing screen in your field of vision while manipulating the focusing knob but I am not sure if you wouldn't need to be 8' tall and have 5' arms.
    Yeah... Notice that the listing doesn't show the usual Gowland chimney hood.

The double-decker Sinar at least doesn't have that problem.

I have this setup. All you need are four Norma Extension Riser Rods. These are normally dark red in color, with metric rulings, if they are the original Norma ones. Then, one Norma above, one below.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I've only seen those rods offered for sale once and wish I bought them preemptively. Have you shot with it in that configuration? How did you like it?

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    I have this setup. All you need are four Norma Extension Riser Rods. These are normally dark red in color, with metric rulings, if they are the original Norma ones. Then, one Norma above, one below.
    Very cool... How rigid are the extension risers? How well do they maintain exact alignment - and thus focus agreement - between the respective front and rear standards?

I wonder if you might have to shim one of the lensboards to get both lenses into agreement?

I wonder if you might have to shim one of the lensboards to get both lenses into agreement?
    Perhaps, in real life. But that would either mean that the camera is not sufficiently parallel, or that the lenses differ in focal length. If you want to use the camera across a wide range of focal distances, you would have to address either issue at the root, shims will only keep it within tolerances for one range. For a portrait camera, you might choose not to bother. The original factory lenses on my Cambo were mismatched by more than 2mm (@180mm FL), and presumably compensated by shimming - making its twin-lens finder useless for landscape use, but the police seem to have been happy using it for some 20 years of mugshots.

About a year ago, I got to see and play a little with the 4 x 5 Gowlandflex that Hugo Zhang has - quite an interesting camera. I believe it has a strap that you can hang around your neck so in a sense it is hand held. He was looking for an 8 x 10 as well, but I couldn't image using that large of a camera around your neck. He said that it weights something like 50 pounds and that Gowland only made few of them. If you're really interested in one, you might want to contact Hugo and talk to him about it.

Yes i have the gowlandflex 4x5 (180mm and 270mm versions) and 8x10.
    Any info you need?
    Boon

Yes. I have a 4x5 version.

Any idea how many of each was made?

Also right from Peter's website the option list showed more lens variation that your two 4x5. I have the optional 210mm lens version.

Quote Originally Posted by 2014268 View Post
    Yes i have the gowlandflex 4x5 (180mm and 270mm versions) and 8x10.
    Any info you need?
    Boon
    Tin Can