Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

Does anyone know who actually owns the Gowlandflex 8x10 TLR? Any idea?

Re: Who Has the Gowlandflex 8x10??

I have always been curious about that myself. I have a Keith 4X5 twin lens camera. It is a joy to use. The Gowland twin lens cameras were great cameras. The 8X10 model is quite rare. Not exactly a point and shoot.I must say though, my Keith twin lens is very easy to use in the field.

One of my kooky ideas is to build a portrait oriented 8x10 SLR with a beam splitter (non-moving) mirror and a FP shutter. Not very practical, but maybe possible.

Use a 5x7 pellicle, and use the lens shutter rather than a FP, and it might not be too hard!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
    Use a 5x7 pellicle, and use the lens shutter rather than a FP, and it might not be too hard!
    I don't see how a lens shutter could work. A beam splitter is a pellicle, right?

Yeah, a pellicle is the ideal type of beamsplitter for this, but they're quite fragile. Which is why a smaller version closer to the lens is probably a good idea.

Just flip the preview lever as usual, but you'll be using the view through the beam splitter. The film holder is already inserted. Then flip the preview lever back, pull the darkslide, and trip the shutter. It's basically like normal view camera procedure, but you can have the film holder inserted the whole time.

The 8x10 focal plane shutter could work too, but you'd probably have to custom design it.

A pellicle is a thin membrane that can be mirrored fully, partially, or not at all, a glass beam splitter will be far cheaper. Just don't forget to limit light sneaking back into the system through your viewfinder, Jay.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

I see. That makes sense-- a compromise solution. Yes, I was mulling over a FP shutter design based on small stepper motors. The concept is so simple, but the execution might be less than elegant, and it would require a power source. Another compromise. So it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by John Conway View Post
    I have always been curious about that myself. I have a Keith 4X5 twin lens camera. It is a joy to use. The Gowland twin lens cameras were great cameras. The 8X10 model is quite rare. Not exactly a point and shoot.I must say though, my Keith twin lens is very easy to use in the field.
    I used to have one of these. Maybe you have the one I used to own. The Ilex lens was a very good performer.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

But... who has the Gowlandflex 8x10? Or a 5x7?