Thread: Video comparing 5x7" vs 13x18cm holders and film

Video comparing 5x7" vs 13x18cm holders and film

I did a little video checking the differences in 5x7 and 13x18 film and film holders. https://youtu.be/1AOFucnw8Vg

Re: Video comparing 5x7" vs 13x18cm holders and film

Don't forget there's a third Film holder with exactly the same outside dimensions - Half plate, I have 3 or 4 Kodak half plate film holders and they fit any standard International 7x5, 13x18 or Half plate back.

Here in the UK 7x5 is relatively modern no cameras were ever made for the format and as a consequence film holders are rare second hand as is the case in Continental Europe where 13x18 dominates.

The Half plate and also Whole plate formats disappeared in the 1980's here in the UK, I'm not sure quite when film stopped being made in the two formats. Of course now it's available through the Ilford ULF run.

Ian

1/2 Plate has been priced much cheaper per area than any other ULF Ilford offer for at least 3 years, dependent upon seller. I buy it to both use it as 1/2 Plate and cut it down.

Study prices.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The Half plate and also Whole plate formats disappeared in the 1980's here in the UK, I'm not sure quite when film stopped being made in the two formats. Of course now it's available through the Ilford ULF run.

Ian
    ..and here (page 14..)

http://www.wephota.de/down/wephota/wepr.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Emil Schildt View Post

Yes, I'd seen that before, there's definitely a resurgence in sizes that had had gone out of use.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolasllasera View Post
    I did a little video checking the differences in 5x7 and 13x18 film and film holders. https://youtu.be/1AOFucnw8Vg
    Nice film Nicolas!
    Did you use a specific app on your ipad to get the illumination for the negative?

My Flickr

I did know about half plate but didnt know it was the same exterior design. I guess if I can get my hands on it I can compare it to the other two. .

Also didnt know the price per area was cheaper than 5x7 or 13x18 on the Ilford ULF run. Nice to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron (Netherlands) View Post
    Nice film Nicolas!
    Did you use a specific app on your ipad to get the illumination for the negative?
    thanks Ron. All i do is take a screen picture when its "loading" a web site that way I get the big white screen. If not they also have a few light table apps for iOS and Google Play.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolasllasera View Post
    I did know about half plate but didnt know it was the same exterior design. I guess if I can get my hands on it I can compare it to the other two. .

Also didnt know the price per area was cheaper than 5x7 or 13x18 on the Ilford ULF run. Nice to know.
    Not from all sources.
    Tin Can

Good video

Remember the markings on the ground glass (frame lines and center) will be different for different films/holders

The Sinar glass shows a common border for 5x7 and 13x18 but it's closer to accurate for 13x18

You can see this if, as in your video, you put film in the holder, remove the darkslide and insert the holder in the back so the open side is facing the glass.

I've put different borders and center marks on my various "5x7" cameras