Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kodak discontinues three colour reversal films

Kodak discontinues three colour reversal films

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: Kodak discontinues three colour reversal films

The other tears-in-beer thread

I suppose I'd better get down to Glazers and get some more 8x10 before it's gone. Crud.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Drew Wiley

This means the last sheet chrome film remaining in mfg on polyester base is Velvia 100F.
    I sure don't understand why Provia is still made on triacetate unless it's just to lower the
    cost. Sad to see E100G gone, but then I'll be gone too long before even a fraction of the
    chrome shots I've already got can be printed. Cibachrome gone too. Them was the good ole days. Acetate base is miserable to register, though I've done it plenty of times. But I'm itching to move on anyway. Color neg printing and dye transfer from chromes is my future
    until something like arthritis shuts me down. All those prints will probably give some dumpster diver an interesting time once I croak.

I am a tad confused. In reading the BJP post Kodak seems to say no more E6 film. The headline implies there are E6 films remaining in the line up. If this is not the case the headline should have been "Kodak Discontinues Remaining Color Reversal Films" with spelling correction [ :-) ] it would seem.

Mr. T-Designer - A while back you were kind enough to mention Ilford B&W film. I tried them before but your posted motivated me to try again. Wow! Marvelous stuff, especially in FA-1027 developer from Photographers Formulary. When yellow boxes are gone, switching to white boxes.

Best Regards,

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    This means the last sheet chrome film remaining in mfg on polyester base is Velvia 100F.
    I sure don't understand why Provia is still made on triacetate unless it's just to lower the
    cost.
    If you can indulge me Drew, whats the difference in practical terms? I know nothing of these matters.

Tim, in color you can still switch to green boxes.

Good to read that you like Ilford films!

If you want to experience an extremely fine grain b&w film for some experiments, you might try this one, which will give you a resolving power of an 8x10 in medium format:

Adox CMS 20

http://www.adox.de/ADOX_Filme/Premiu..._Bildbbsp.html

Drew Wiley

Dave - maybe no big deal for scanning, but dimensional stablity is crucial for traditional color processes where things like silver masks and color separations negs must be aligned. Acetate changes with humidity, then shrinks overall over time. Polyester (Kodak Estar) base is very dimensionally stable. This is true in any graphic arts application using punch
    and register systems. Roll film is the worst because it's flimsy and as far as I know, in color
    at least, always on thin acetate. E100G sheet film is wonderful to work with, just like the
    new Portra and Ektar sheet films. Fuji Astia 100F and Velvia 100F are also made on polyester base, as are most black and white sheet films. It tougher and stiffer as well as
    dimensionally stable.

I picked up a readyload box of E100VS a few years ago, I think it has an early '09 expiration date, and it's been frozen ever since. I haven't shot any color reversal films since late '08, after having shot many rolls of it in 35mm and 120 as well as one or two boxes of readyload over the years, so I'm not surprised by this announcement. Still, instead of hoarding it or maybe trying to make a few bucks (unless someone out there has a project for which they're desperate for 20 more sheets of the stuff), I think I'll take advantage of what should be a good wildflower season and burn through it this spring, to give the stuff a proper fond farewell (also, while I can still get it processed somewhat locally). I really did like E100VS much more than Velvia.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Dave - maybe no big deal for scanning, but dimensional stablity is crucial for traditional color processes where things like silver masks and color separations negs must be aligned. Acetate changes with humidity, then shrinks overall over time. Polyester (Kodak Estar) base is very dimensionally stable. This is true in any graphic arts application using punch
    and register systems. Roll film is the worst because it's flimsy and as far as I know, in color
    at least, always on thin acetate. E100G sheet film is wonderful to work with, just like the
    new Portra and Ektar sheet films. Fuji Astia 100F and Velvia 100F are also made on polyester base, as are most black and white sheet films. It tougher and stiffer as well as
    dimensionally stable.
    Nice one, thanks for the explanation. I can see why that would be a big deal for that kind of work.

Is this bizarre or what?
    Kodak claims to be going back to it's roots with film, yet discontinues well estab lished emulsions which have little of no competition? Have they been doing R&D and have other color films in the wings? Digital is thoroughly entrenched in the old 35mm snapshot market so I don't see where this move is going with Kodak. But then again I don't understand much of what is going on with Kodak.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White