Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3200 Epson Pro Scanner versus the Non Pro Version for LF

3200 Epson Pro Scanner versus the Non Pro Version for LF

Tuan, that Epson 4800 is actually called Perfection 4870 in western countries and GT-X700 in Japan. Don't ask me for the logic behind the naming... It will do 5x7", but it does not come with film holders for that format. The actual film scanning area is about 6x10.5".

In reading the info on the Microtek i900 it states that the scanner comes with Digital Ice Photo Print technology. Am I correct in assuming that this digital ice is meant only for prints and not for transparencies?

Mark -

Digital ICE reads the infra-red channel, on color slide/negative film, and compares it against the R, G, and B channels. This doesn't work well on B&W neagative film.

Andreas, thanks for the precision. Please keep us updated if you have any noise,dmax, or dynamic range comparisons in the future.

Tuan, when I find the time I will do some more tests of the 4870. But until the market introduction of this scanner in the US I still have plenty of time, I think ;-)

My vote, assuming you have decided on the 3200, is the pro version unless you can buy Silverfast separately cheaper.

Any scanner without the ability to calibrate itself, as the 3200 is not as it comes out of the box, is as useless as a guitar that cannot be tuned.

Silverfast provides calibration capability so I am unclear on the value of the Monaco EZcolor Software unless it is also a monitor calibration which I doubt, but the IT8 Targets (assuming it includes the more expensive film target) are indispensable to calibrating.

Vuescan is clunky and difficult to use. The full version will allow calibration but I much preferred the results from Silverfast. Silverfast has a great deal of automation if you trust it to make decisions while you're learning to scan.

Epson is not the only option for scanning 4x5 but it so much cheaper that it takes a perverse compulsiveness to buy any other at two to four or more times the cost. I bought one but I am always on the look out for a better one if the price it right.

For me the bottom line, like so many LF issues, is how big are you going to print and will any mortal be able to see any difference at that size. Given the printers you're considering, the Epson will be fine. But you need control of the scanning and of the color results. VueScan didn't give me that easily or at all sometimes.
    John Hennessy