Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Efke Infra red questions

Efke Infra red questions

I just purchased some 8x10 Efke Infra Red film off ebay. $75 per 50 sheet box. The only information I got was that the seller had a batch made for him about three years ago and he has had it in the freezer. He has more listed if anyone is interested.

So my questions are is there more than one type of Efke infrared? (these box's only say Efke infrared, no number etc.)

What filter should I use for the most dramatic ir effect? I have a #25 and #29 will these work? What iso should I meter at?

What developer should I use, times etc?

Any other special precautions? I haven't shot IR film in 35 years.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I definitely take more from this site than I am capable of offering.

www.timeandlight.com

Re: Efke Infra red questions

You'll need an infrared filter for the effect you're expecting. I rate it at 1.5 and use an 89b filter. Usually 4 seconds at 22 gives adequate exposure in full sun. Reciprocity is pretty bad too. Efke has ir820 and ir820 aura. You likely have the 820. I have some in 8x10 from freestyle when they still sold it for $7/sheet.

Most likely it's regular IR820, not Aura, as the Aura is a fairly new version, and I don't think it was available 3 years ago.

Lots of good info, and pics, here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/efkeir820/

You'll want an IR filter, and your exposure will depend on the filter. The Hoya R72 is very popular, and you'll get between ISO 1-3 with that combination. The Lee filter is denser, so you'll want to try ISO 0.5-1 with that filter. IR820C has an anti-halation backing, so a pre-wash is a good idea. If you do a pre-wash and the water isn't dark blue afterwards, then you have the Aura version of the film.

You can buy it in 35mm or 120 from Freestyle if you want to do some tests with your filter of choice first.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Drew, Aura isn't new, they just brought it back a couple years ago.

Here are a couple of examples I have taken. I rated it a ISO 1.5 and used an 89B filter just like Vinny said. This is the AURA version and I really like it. I processed it in Rodinal. Another good thing is you can shoot it in the middle of the day when you normally wouldn't expect to get good images.
    [IMG] Monastery Steeple by Stradibarrius, on Flickr[/IMG]
    [IMG] Mother- Daughter by Stradibarrius, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is one more that shows the IR effect in the trees.
    [IMG] Chapel by Stradibarrius, on Flickr[/IMG]

Oh, and wear gloves when loading your holders. Fingerprints can show up on your processed film. Not as bad as kodak hsi but it has happened to me.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Oh, and wear gloves when loading your holders. Fingerprints can show up on your processed film. Not as bad as kodak hsi but it has happened to me.
    Thanks for all the great dvice everyone! Actually the fingerprints could be kind of cool!

It looks like the first thing I have to do is get a filter. Damn those Hoya 77mm are expensive!

I've bought several IR720 filters, sizes 37mm to 82mm, out of China via Ebay at $10 to $20 each. They seem to work fine in front of Efke IR820. Daylight exposures at 1sec @ f16 seem good.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

If you use a lee hood, get a cokin 89b (lee size), otherwise bite the bullet. There's a guy selling infrared filters for lee holders on ebay advertised as 89b, they are not. Completely opaque and the first one he sent me didn't fit. Try looking for 82mm glass filters! That's my $tandard $ize and you can forget a name brand ir filter.