Thread: Online Photo Usage Price Quotes?

Online Photo Usage Price Quotes?

Hi all,

Does anyone here know where I can find an online resource for pricing photo usage? I've never really had a set price list, and I sometimes get requests out of the norm, and would like a cost base from which I can bid. For instance, I just quoted a design firm a one-time, non-exclusive use of a photo that will be blown up to over 8x12 feet and used for a set backdrop for an upcoming US Figure Skating TV special. I think my price of $500 was low, especially considering the twists and turns I had to go through to meet the client's deadline when he called me ON deadline day in a panic. But he's grumbling, telling me how they're doing their design work gratis and all. (I know, they all grumble a little bit.) I'd like to be able to point people to a pricing source and say, "See, I told you I was giving you a fair price!"

TIA, Todd http://www.toddcaudle.com

There is no comprehensive on-line price guide that I know. However, if
    you scroll the bottom of my stock photography page, you'll see three links to
    tables that cover the most frequent uses. If someone asks you for web use,
    and you point them to Seth Resnick's prices, he will very likely find your
    price fair.

I know you didn't ask this but did you ever wonder how much the network will charge their advertisers for 30 seconds on this Skating show? Are you getting paid at that same level? Actually this might be a good line of defense for your use fees. Big use, big fee.

Todd,

Although not an on-line resource I have used Cradoc fotoQuote software and with the fee calculator and coaching tips covered the cost of the CD ($139.95)with the first job. It also helps to price assignment work based on usage fees as I can see how much the client would pay to use an image from a stock library and factor that in. It covers all sorts of 'oddball' usages.(Happy customer not in any way connected with Cradoc)

Todd,

I use Jim Pickerell's book, Negotiating Stock Photo Prices, fifth edition and according to his numbers, you are way low for a national tv program, backdrop usage. The book is only $40.00 and will pay for itself the first time you use it. Who is doing the scan for the print? I'd ask for a CD of the scan as well as the money.

good luck,

bill proud