Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polaroid 405 holder compatibility with Sinar F2

Re: Polaroid 405 holder compatibility with Sinar F2

Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    Any problems with the method of putting the film holders in front of the ground glass?
    For holders that don't have protrusions that will bear on the glass directly, and if the spring arrangement of the ground-glass holder has sufficient travel to accommodate the thickness of the back, then there's nothing wrong with just sliding it under the ground glass. I do not know whether the back on the Sinar will accommodate a Polaroid 405, aside from the issue described by the OP. It will absolutely accommodate a Fuji PA-45 in that way, though not with an abundance of margin. I just tested it. The PA-45 back is about 1.07" thick.

Rick "noting that the bail tab has a 1" travel, so lifting the back itself is required with the PA-45" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by meirronaldi View Post
    Attachment 69273Attachment 69274So back to my original question has anyone been successful using the Polaroid 405 film holder for the smaller FP100c 3x4 film with a Sinar F2? I have attached two images one showing the film holder and the offending part the other showing the conflict with the camera. I have tried switch to all the positions. Turing it vertical allows the holder to clear the Sinar standards but you cannot get the dark slide out. I am wondering if I take this into the shop and cut the tab down, it looks like 1/8 or so might do it that it would work. It would no longer have value for a collector but I am trying to get working gear.
    That's not what I was visualizing from your first post. I don't know what to suggest other than your approaching of using a grinder. Can you determine the purpose of that tab? I don't have a 405 (though I'm in the market) and it's been 35 years since I used one.

Rick "who last used a 405 with Type 55 (er--665 or whatever) on a Linhof Kardan Color in maybe 1976" Denney

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	69292Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	69293Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	69294 More photos. I have film in the thing so without wasting 5 shots I can't open it up to know for sure its purpose. The tab, at least the part that is causing the problem, seems to serve little if any functional purpose. As you will see from the photo it's base catches the wire spring clip that holds it together But the offending top who knows? The center interior seems might serve to guide the pull tab that you pull out to pull the film through the rollers with each shot. I don't think I could whack the entire thing off without some negative results. The actual Fuji holder and the newer model 405 have what appears to be a lower profile with thinner material more geometric and less curvy. Might be enough to just clear the side standard and allow this to seat. I just wasted a shot and the plastic part just seems to cover the slot the pull tabs come through. I am going to also post a YouTube movie of someone loading film into one of these it is the newer model.It is petty helpful for me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRNygubxLck

meirronaldi:
    I found this when searching, maybe it will help?
    <<https://secure.flickr.com/groups/largeformat/discuss/72157627013067693/>>

Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    meirronaldi:
    I found this when searching, maybe it will help?
    <<https://secure.flickr.com/groups/largeformat/discuss/72157627013067693/>>
    That thread and the Youtube video demonstrate what the OP has also observed--later 405 pack holder used a flat locking clip rather than the chrome spring clip to hold the holder closed after inserting the film pack. It has a different shape, and it works in the Sinar without modification.

That's good to know for those of us keeping an eye out for a 405.

The one I used back in the 70's was of the type meirronaldi pictured, but the only camera I ever used with that holder was a Linhof.

Rick "wondering whether Polaroid altered the back to fit more cameras or to comply with a standard earlier models didn't" Denney

hi ronaldi

I use/ have used both fuji and polaroid pack film backs on sinar p/P2 and F2
    I have always slid them under the ground glass and not had a problem
    the sinar backs have loads of space for such things
    I have never used the grafloc

the tab problem I think you have can be solved by taking the strip with the slot in it off the side of the sinar frame where it touches
    this is done with 2 screws
    I have taken them off all of mine
    it is really easy and only takes a second
    if you dont like it you can just put it back

hope that helps

Ancient thread, but what the hey...
    I have a 405 holder that doesn't look like the one pictured in the photograph. It fits snugly into my Sinar back, but in horizontal orientation only. I've tried pretty much everything to get it to work in vertical orientation, but I think it's impossible - the edge of the holder butts up against the plate on the camera where the level and swing lock are. Any thoughts? The only way to get a vertical shot is to rotate the entire camera 90 degrees on the rail, but that's an absurd situation, functionally speaking.