Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

Re: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

Hahaha! Nice one Alex. Put me down for a Hobo 2.0 when you have it perfected! Sounds great. Make sure you add some things the Jobo should have and doesn't. Like a drain tap - and a way to warm rinse water. You putting a lift on it?
    My Jobo has 2 speeds - I would say the slow speed would be around 40-50rpm. The high one is mad - it goes like hell. I haven't used it because it seems too full-on.

Landscape Addict

It has two drain taps, 80L heated wash water tank. Lift has been implemented into the design (albeit, crude, but functional.)

Hobo-lift 0.8a (Current Beta) is mostly made of wood with a long wooden arm that attaches to the base roller assembly much the same as 'the competition'. however where 'the competition' rotate the drum via direct contact to the drum lid, The Hobo-Lift 0.8a drives the drum via a retractable 12vDC motor driven dolly wheel that folds ontop of the drum.

Eg. imagine your drum sitting on your jobo rollers, mine has an axle that runs the length of the tank which is on a pair of swing-in arms. So you place the tank in the lift rollers, lower it into the bath, then swing the axle with the drive wheel down ontop of the drum. Once the rotation cycle is complete, simply push down the lift arm, it will swing the drive wheel assembly out of the way and raise the tank out of the bath, ready to rinse with 38°c rinse water pumped out of the rinse heated rinse tank through an irrigation tap. Chems are held in place by what looks like a cheap ikea wine rack to stop them floating around the bath...

Once I get home I might knock up some 3D models of the Hobo to give you a better idea.. Suffice to say that I think it purely exceeds what is required and should do a great job of rotary E6 process..

Yeah, 30~50rpm is easily doable, when I read the jobo does 75 I thought "what for? so you can spin your film off the reel automatically...?" I will build it with 40~50 as the speed and hopefully it will come out close to that... I would imagine as long as your rotation is smooth and consistant, it wont really matter if its 30 or 50, however I suppose if its too slow it might not affect the emulsion how its supposed to.. 40's a nice starting point anyway...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Mate. That sounds wicked. I'll get get my original Jobo 1.0 out and see what its RPMs max at ... I'll let you know.

Landscape Addict

That would be great if you could...

I looked at Lab Baths as an easier method of making the tanks but prices were a wee bit insane.. On ebay one that is the perfect size was $220, I thought I'd buy that to start with, well, they wanted $1025 postage from US. I contacted them thinking surely it was wrong but alas, they said its big and heavy, thats the price... So plastic tub tanks it is.
    Alexartphotography

Landscape Addict

After some in depth reading on how E6 emulsion works and how the processing cycle affects the film, I have adjusted the gearing ratio to hit 50rpm. to ensure the images come out clean and streak free.

Might still be over a month until I have it up and running but the project is underway with the first few items for its construction having already arrived.
    Alexartphotography

Alex. Just checked my Jobo - I reckon it turns at no more than 30 RPM on the slow setting. Also - it only turns the drum 1.5 turns before reversing direction. I would guess the faster speed is closer to 70 RPM.

Landscape Addict

hmmm..

ok.. Back to 30~35rpm I go... Shouldn't be too difficult..

Doing 1.5 revoloutions then switch back might be possible. I will have to do some math and time the setup doing 1.5 spins. I can probably adjust my DTDP relay to flip flop that fast... Might end up being 3.5 then switch back.. Will have to see how I go. I will go down to Jaycar tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Still no cog lid for the tank I borrowed from Jason At this rate it probably wont get here until Jase gets back..

Got myself another box of quickload 4x5's too.. This is some crazy tungsten balanced 64ASA fuji slide film.. I figure I dont really shoot tungsten lighting much, but its a cheap 20 pack of film that can be converted to BW after processing.
    Alexartphotography

I certainly admire anyone who can DIY anything that needs a soldering iron.
    How fast are B+H. My 100 sheets of Velvia 50 arrived yesterday!

Landscape Addict

Awesome work from B+H. Next time you're ordering, give me a hoy and I'll grab a bit of of Velvia too... 120's and 4x5's..

Yep, Soldering irons are fun..

Got my spot meter today.. will test it tomorrow...
    Alexartphotography

I also ordered a few things from B&H a couple of days ago, Alex. If I'd known you needed some stuff, we could have combined orders... When I get my act together, I might also get some alternative process stuff from Bostick and Sullivan. If anybody wants anything from there, let me know.

Looking forward to progress updates on the Hobo / Frankenjobo!