Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

Re: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

Anybody here subscribe to View Camera Magazine? (I don't)
    The article referred to below looks worth a read in the context of this Brisbane thread...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...of-View-Camera

Got my B&H order a couple of days ago. Now got enough film for the next year, I reckon!

Landscape Addict

I have 11 rolls of Velvia 50, 10 rolls of Kodak Ektar 100, 6 Velvia 100 quickloads, and I'm contemplating 5 rolls of TMX-100 to round out my collection. Should do me a little while.. Oh, and 20 Fuji T64 quickloads.... Tungsten balanced slide film isn't usually my cup of tea, but with quickloads, when they come up for sale, you buy them.... Worst case scenario, convert the scans to B/W and use them for whatever I want...
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Landscape Addict

No, make that 21 rolls of velvia 50... Got it cheap so I bought 20 rolls instead of 10... Not bad for $124 posted. $1.02 per exposure. Thats cheap action!

I went to gardeners falls this weekend and fired off a roll in 6x17, 1 roll in 6x12 and 4 4x5's of the cascades and main falls. I spent more time teaching my dad the fine art to shooting with a wide angle lens. Since I don't shoot digital landscapes at all any more, my dear old Dad inherited my 12-24 Nikkor... We both had a pretty good time. I'll post some pics as soon as I can (from the 4x5 and some "action shots" my old man took of me while I was hidden away under a dark cloth.. )

I couldn't believe it. I got home, Dad was showing me his shots on the computer 4 shots of me under the dark cloth, NOT ONE SHOT OF WHEN I WAS CHEST DEEP IN THE STREAM!!
    Alexartphotography

Landscape Addict

Update for those interested:

Our planned hike up Coomera River to the base of Coomera falls has been cancelled on account of the recent weather and water levels in the gorge. Safety must come first and although I'm always keen to go the extra mile (or 10) to get the shot, Im not one to take risks when its just not nessacary.

Stef and I have had a bit of a chat about it and he has some other possible sites in Lamington NP that we could go and have some great photographic opportunities while maintaining a reasonable level of safety.

We plan to re-schedule the Coomera Circuit trip until September/October after the drier winter months. Hopefully the weather holds up.

I'll let Stef take the talking stick from here, as he has the knowledge of the park and locations..

Suffice to say we still plan to shoot Lamington NP on Easter Monday, just not the same location.
    Alexartphotography

As Alex says - we've had a conversation and thought it might be wiser to let the Coomera Gorge go until after winter (the water will be too cold in winter to tackle it!). The concern is that the trek to the base of the falls requires several hours of wading up the river - in places at up to waste height. When there has been a prolonged wet season this height can rapidly increase. Also the rocks tend to be more slippery and dangerous at this time of year. The trick is get up there before too much weed growth makes the route difficult. So before November.

Anyway - as an alternative we are suggesting a group day shoot in Lamington NP - from O'Reilly's on Easter Monday. I know at least a couple of people have never been there before so I reckon it's a great location for a first outing. The tracks are mostly well-defined and the walking mostly pretty easy.

There are a few options for day hikes that will take us past at least 3 or 4 shootable waterfalls. These include:

1. We take the West Canungra Ck track down to Blue Pool and then continue off the main track downstream to Stairway Falls. We can then come back the short and steep way (the same way we came in) or we can continue along the West Canungra Ck Circuit and onto the second half of the Box Forest walk. This will take us past another 4 shoot-able falls including the famous Elabana Falls. This is a long walk. It's around 5.5/6 km to Stairway Falls then we need to do another 12-13 km to get along the circuit and back to O'Reilly's. All up distance is around 17-18 k I think. It would require starting very early if we are going to have time to shoot much.

2. As above but skip Stairway. This is obviously a bit shorter at 15 k. It is all on track. We miss Stairway Falls which are apparently very picturesque. I have never been there but hear they are great. One advantage of Stairway is there will likely be no tourists there.

3. Skip West Canungra Ck and just do the Box Forest Circuit. This gives us at least 3 good waterfalls as well as plenty of cascades and so on. It's a pretty tame walk of only 11 K. Only the last 3 k is very hard (up-hill). We could easy start this at 9am and be at the Canungra pub for a beer with film holders exposed by 3 or 4pm.

4. Do the Toolona Creek circuit. this is a long walk - at just under 18 k. I haven't done this walk for 10 years but the map shows a lot of waterfalls. My memory is they are mostly a bit small or scrappy looking with the exception of Chalahn Falls. Another option is to do 3 but add a quick couple of kilometres out the Toolona track and back (it starts at the base of the Box Forest).

So - what do people think?? A lot depends on how much of this type of hiking (with heavy LF gear) people generally do and the level of experience. It can eat up a lot of time when you need to climb down and shoot every single cascade!

I am leaning to 3 with a touch of the Toolona track if we have time and are up for it. I do want to get to Stairway Falls at some stage though!!

We need a definite show of interest - so we can work out transport/car pooling. It's a (just under) 2 hour drive to Lamo ... we need to arrive by 9am I think. Earlier might be better - but it depends on which walk we go for. At this stage I am happy to drive - but will need to check with my wife whether she needs the car that day.

People should make sure they have the required gear beyond just photography. You should definitely have the following covered:
    - Suitable boots or hiking shoes and the preparedness to get them wet
    - A short (say 5-8m) length of rope that you can use to let your pack down over ledges etc (some of the best locations may require some scrambling and a little climbing)
    - A suitable water container - 1 litre per 10k or part there of is the absolute minimum
    - A small first-aid kit is sensible - however I always carry one so probably no need to double up on weight!
    - A rainproof jacket or poncho is a very good idea

These shots were made along the Box Forest track ...

What did you compose at Waters Edge #post758546

There is some vaguely useful stuff here:

www.lamingtonnationalpark.net.au

The official (useless!) NP map is here ...

lamington-green-mtns-map.pdf

A more useful (sort of) topo map is here:

track-map-430x390.pdf

This last one shows the walking tracks pretty clearly and the location of Stairway Falls etc.

I am definitely up for Easter Monday. I am pretty easy on the walk we take - it is all beautiful! A slightly shorter walk perhaps has the advantage of allowing more time for contemplative photography. I should be able to take the car, but will have to consult with the other half. Looking forward to it anyway!
    Ian

I agree Ian. I think perhaps the Box Forest trip is the pick. Gives us a couple of nice spots and as you say - I'd rather go to few locations but be able to chill and find some nice angles.
    Let's plan to meet at the entrance to the Border Track at 9am! Let me know if you can't get the vehicle....

Landscape Addict

I'm happy with any walk provided it gives me some waterfalls and cascades and plenty of green to light up my Velvia.. Meeting at lamington at 9 you say... I will have to look up how to get there..

So at this stage we have 3 definites, and I suppose you wouldn't want too many more than 3 before you start bumping elbows when shooting..

Now - being that I have two experienced spot meterer's at my disposal, I wouldnt mind a run down on your techniques.. my technique for sunrise seascapes is pretty reasonable I think, and ensures no over exposure etc. I have not yet figured out how I would meter a rainforrest scene. I suppose, if I have a waterfall, I will meter the brightest part of the water and over expose by 2.3~2.7 stops to have the falls as close to the top end of the films range as possible.. I feel that for a waterfall scene in a rain forrest, if the brightest part of the falls (either the top or where the water lands in the pool below JUST over-exposes the film, thats not as much of a concern as if you were to keep the falls within the dynamic range of the film and underexpose the surrounding forrest.

I suppose it will be easier to explain when we're standing infront of a waterfall... Looking forward to it, thats for sure.. T -10 days and counting!!

I might get out and shoot a seascape sunrise between now and then... Although I really want to conserve film. I know in a place like Lamington NP I'm going to need a fair bit.
    Alexartphotography

Hi Alex
    Yeah, it will be easiest to talk through the metering on the spot, so to speak. But it is pretty easy to get a good result, although you will have a tougher time than me if you are determined to use Velvia (especially 50).

My usual approach with black and white negative film is to meter the darkest and brightest parts of the scene in which I would like to capture some detail. In a rainforest situation, those might for example be the shaded face of a large rock and the brightest area of whitewater. If the range is easily within the latitude of the film (say 5 or 6 stops), I will mostly just set exposure half way between them. If the range is longer than that, I will generally take the important shadow reading and then close down a couple of stops (i.e. add a couple of EVs). Highlights can then be dealt with in processing (if you are using sheet film) or sometimes with a graduated ND filter if you are keen. With your Pentax spot, the easiest thing to do is just work in EV numbers until the very end when you need to convert the EV to shutter speed and aperture to set on your camera.

With Velvia you will have considerably less latitude and the most common approach is to meter for the highlights, and sacrifice shadow detail if necessary That would involve taking the EV for the brightest important part of the scene and then opening up probably 1.5 stops (i.e. subtracting 1.5 EVs) to calculate your exposure. I think you will nearly always be sacrificing shadow details if you want to include whitewater in your scene. If there are patches of sunlight as well, you are really in strife! Then again, the Ansel Adams school which says that you must record detail in everything is not necessarily the only right approach. Sometimes high contrast and areas of pure black can work depending on the look you are after.

When you have a final EV number you will need to correct it for film speed, reciprocity, etc. (The Pentax EV numbers are based on a notional ISO100.)

I may be getting a couple more bits from B&H before our trip. Yell out if you want more film or anything and I will chuck it in the order. Don't want you to be conserving film - think of the struggling industry!

Ian

Landscape Addict

Im a hoarder... I'm conserving film even though I have 21 rolls of velvia 50, 10 of Ektar 100, 10x 4x5 velvia 100 quickloads, 20x 64T quickloads and a handfull of Neopan quickloads too... hahahaha.. I do plan on a bit of a shooting frenzy in Lamington NP though...

I might consider using Ektar 100 in the more contrasty areas. I also have the option of bracketing with velvia and doing a digital sandwich using 2 or 3 exposures in photoshop.
    Alexartphotography