Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

Re: Brisbane LF meetup thread.

"Digital Sandwich"!! Meh! No substitute for patience (wait for the light) and a good old partly cloudy day! ;-)
    My Velvia 50 rainforest exposure mostly involves metering the brightest highlight and placing it around Zone 7 (I prefer zones to EV numbers!). I don't have too many problems pushing the base of a water fall into half-a-stop over though. Then I check where the darkest detailed shadows fall. If it is less than Zone 3 I need to be aware I am losing detail. So. Change composition? Wait for light? Plan to come back another day? Shoot anyway? Try some crazy grad options?
    I spoke with Jason yesterday and he is planning on joining us. So that makes 4.

Landscape Addict

Run on ev but treat them as zones. At the beach I will meter the brightest area of the sky, subtract 2 ev to to place the brightest area of the sky to the upper range of the film, subtract the ev value of the grad I'm using, then shoot.. I would do the same in the forest, meter highlights, place them in the high range of the film and shoot
    Chamonix 045N-2 - 65/5.6 - 90/8 - 210/5.6 - Fomapan 100 & T-Max 100 in Rodinal
    Alexartphotography

Sounds good to me. I work in EV numbers instead of shutter/aperture combos right until I need to work out reciprocity comp (if any) and set the lens. But I do think in terms of zones.

The big question I have is what lenses to carry in to the NP. Tempted to just take the 135 and some screw in filters to keep the load light. But then I think maybe I should take the 90 too, and perhaps the grads, and ... and suddenly I need a sherpa!

Landscape Addict

I will be bringing my 90mm, you can borrow it if you want as I will likely use my 75mm. What I would love to know is, does anyone coming have a longer lens I might be able to use? 150 to 240ish? I have a shot in mind and don't believe the 90 will be long enough.

As far as the pack is concerned, I'm bringing the linhof, 75 and 90 lenses, roll film, 2 x 6x12 holders one with velvia and one with ektar, water, food, spot meter, first aid, head lamp and maybe some 4x5 just for fun.. some filters 81a and cpl probably. Rope. Travelling moderately heavy but I hate getting somewhere n thinking gee I wish I had brought X.
    Alexartphotography

Thanks for the offer of your 90mm, Alex. That may be handy...

Don't forget to pack something warm to wear just in case things get cool. I remember standing around in gloves and beanie at the bottom of a Binna Burra walk not so long ago, and it wasn't winter!

Landscape Addict

Most welcome mate.. I figure, all our cameras use the same lenses, and I'm pretty sure (at a glance) that our lens boards will fit eachothers cameras... That being the case, why double up on weight..

I got something that will save a bit of weight... I have some military water treatment tablets. 1 tablet in one litre of river/stream water for 10 minutes turns the likely 'less than fresh' water into purified drinking water...

Its surprisingly good, I've used it when hiking up little yabba creek in Kennilworth, and at gardeners falls in Maleny a few times.. Both locations have FAIRLY clear water, but there is enough moss and alge in the water to know you'd be daft to drink it straight up... One tablet in, 10 mins later and its clear, tastes reasonable and most of all - I've never gotten sick..
    Alexartphotography

Most of the Lamington streams have beautiful clear water in them. But there is sadly the possibility of giardia in them too these days... It probably depends on where you are in the Park and whether anyone might have been upstream.

Landscape Addict

my treatment tablets kill giardia.. winning.

Yeah the crystal clear waters I have seen in photos from Lamington NP are amazing.. part of the reason I'm counting down the minutes to Monday!
    Alexartphotography

Landscape Addict

Ok,

So where and when are we meeting? All planning to meet in the carpark at a certain time or metting at a location along the way?
    I've never been so have zero idea where i would be going

Getting close now! I was kind of hoping to have my home made 6x17 p&s finished by the weekend but alas, I don't think that will be the case.
    Alexartphotography

Hi Alex
    I gather the plan is to meet at the entrance to the Border Track at O'Reilly's at 9.00am. The Border Track is the main track off which some of the other walks branch. It is also the track that goes to Binna Burra. You shouldn't have any trouble finding it.
    To get to O'Reilly's, just head down to Nerang, then across to Canungra. At Canungra, follow the signs to O'Reilly's/Green Mountains. The whole trip will probably take close to 2 hours.
    I am happy to meet earlier, eg at Canungra for a breakfast pie, if anyone is keen.
    Looking forward to it!
    Ian