Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Pigment Epsons Fading to Green?

Old Pigment Epsons Fading to Green?

Maybe it was just the way I was printing back then, but going through a bunch of old color Epson pigment prints from 2007-08 I was struck by how green they were, consistently. Back then I was using an Epson 2200 with the Ilford Pearl RC type paper, I don't remember forgetting the Magenta!

Has anyone else had prints leaching Magenta from older color ink jets? I think my B&Ws were also contrastier, like they lost something too. Might just be my eyes or brain fooling me too though, I may have been in a very green state of mind... I know I am a better printer and the new papers and printer do better color. They aren't as bad as the Epson 1100 prints from the 90s! (Yet my 1992 Iris prints are still going strong!)

Re: Old Pigment Epsons Fading to Green?

Sometimes I think that with today's "Dump the new and get the newer", the term "archival" means that it will last until you get tired of looking at it.

But, yeah...the old magenta goes bye-bye pretty quickly. Funny...I have old inkjet prints on regular computer paper that have maintained color better than the same image printed at the same time with the same printer/inks on inkjet "photo paper". I think it is because the ink got into the paper and was less accessable to UV than with the photo paper where the ink sits more on the surface of the paper (and perhaps the one uses less ink with inkjet photo paper).

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

How were they stored/mounted/displayed? I have a big one, stored in the dark, only displayed under UV blocking glass, which has lasted since 2004, no problems.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Mostly in sleeves in the dark, so maybe those archival polypro or polyester sleeves had something to do with it?

I printed with the 2200 for several years. Coincidentally I happened to have occasion just yesterday to go through all my color prints including those printed with my old 2200. There was no obvious fading, discoloration, or any other problem in any of them that I noticed in a quick run-through. FWIW my prints are stored in boxes sold by Light Impressions and Adorama. I didn't start any serious digital color printing until about 2004 so the color prints don't go back very far.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Drew Wiley

Hopefully I won't be accused of being anti-digital for stating this, but once
    again there's the possibility that the optimism of accelerated aging tests don't always replicate real world conditions. All one has to do is peruse some of the inkjet patents to see that not all the dyes used to color certain
    pigments are first rate in terms of permanence. Other characteristics have
    to take priority. This was certainly the case with certain magenta components. Of course, I can't speak for every tweak out there, or for every combination of ink and paper, any more than anyone else can. But
    this kind of experience should make one wary of all the marketing hype.
    After all, how does one know something has two hundred years of archival permanence when it's only been on the market a few years, or
    not yet at all?

It could be the ink/paper combo.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

did you label it "archival inkjet", if not, that's your problem. That's what everyone is doing these days and it seems to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    did you label it "archival inkjet", if not, that's your problem. That's what everyone is doing these days and it seems to be working.
    So true...

Probably the paper, the Ilford Pearl was the "low cost" paper I used for give-aways and sleeved portfolio prints, I used better stuff for exhibits and sales. The Quadtone RIP prints look good.