Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven development Fp4+ (8x10) Pyrocat HD

Uneven development Fp4+ (8x10) Pyrocat HD

I am having a bit of a problem with my Ilford Fp4+ (8x10) development. I am using Pyrocat HD 1:1:100 (distilled H2O) 1000ml working solution in 8x10" paterson trays.

Pre-soak 3 minutes plain water.
    Agitation first 30 seconds then 10 seconds every minute.
    Plain water stop bath for 1 minute.
    Fixed in TF-4 for 5 minutes and hung to dry.

I have noted uneven development clearly evident in the sky using this method with both emulsion side up and down.
    Any ideas? This seems like pretty standard procedure.

Octogenarian

Re: Uneven development Fp4+ (8x10) Pyrocat HD

The method you described for processing the film appears to be okay. However, you didn't mention the total time of development.

Try using a larger tray and increasing the amount of developer solution.

After continuous agitation for 1 minute, agitate for 15 seconds each minute of the remaining developing time.

(Should be a total of 10-12 minutes).

Thank you Gem. The total time in the developer varies between 9-15 minutes. Looks like 2000ml working solution in 11x14 trays may help then. Thanks for the advice.

Pyrocat oxidizes fairly quickly when exposed to air. A smaller, deeper tray will minimize oxidation. A larger, shallower tray, will promote oxidation... oops.

For 4x5 and 5x7, I use plastic shoe containers : they are very deep but just larger than the film. You can probably purchase several of them for the price of one "photo" tray. Any brand will do: since you're in the states, you can find them at any "big box" store, and they are probably available in 8x10 size too.

You don't mention how many sheets. If you are doing several, then flipping slowly but continuously will promote even development. If you are doing only one, then agitate gently, but more often.

As 8x10 film is expensive (plus time spent, equipment carried, care taken, gasoline to the destination, etc.) developer is a bargain: use more than you need, and get peace of mind.

I never got even development using 8x10 film in 8x10 trays (first 25 sheets). I gave up tray development.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Pyrocat oxidizes fairly quickly when exposed to air. A smaller, deeper tray will minimize oxidation. A larger, shallower tray, will promote it.

You don't mention how many sheets. If you are doing several, then flipping slowly but continuously will promote even development. If you are doing only one, then agitate gently, but more often.

As 8x10 film is expensive (plus time spent, equipment carried, care taken, gasoline to the destination, etc.) developer is a bargain: use more than you need, and get peace of mind.
    Good advice...I am doing no more than two sheets at a time with the 1000ml's. Maybe it is my flipping technique that is causing the problem? I flip once after every agitation per minute.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I never got even development using 8x10 film in 8x10 trays (first 25 sheets). I gave up tray development.
    That actually make me feel better!

Pyrocat-HD is my main developer. I do use 8x10 FP4, too. When you develop in a tray, be sure to agitate strong enough so that you can hear the film "clack" against the edge of the tray. I go west to east/east to west, north/south, south/north for one regimen. Use a tray that is one size larger than 8x10 (I prefer flat-bottomed). Make sure you have at least an inch of developer in the tray. Developer is cheap as I mix it up myself from scratch. So, it's one shot developer per 8x10 sheet. I personally skip a water soak before development when developing one sheet at a time. I agitate about 5 seconds every half minute (continuous for first 30 sec). Wear gloves...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Pyrocat-HD is my main developer. I do use 8x10 FP4, too. When you develop in a tray, be sure to agitate strong enough so that you can hear the film "clack" against the edge of the tray. I go west to east/east to west, north/south, south/north for one regimen. Use a tray that is one size larger than 8x10 (I prefer flat-bottomed). Make sure you have at least an inch of developer in the tray. Developer is cheap as I mix it up myself from scratch. So, it's one shot developer per 8x10 sheet. I personally skip a water soak before development when developing one sheet at a time. I agitate about 5 seconds every half minute (continuous for first 30 sec). Wear gloves...
    Interesting Andrew...I have not used an agitation method that vigorous, I am going to add that to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brunell View Post
    Good advice...I am doing no more than two sheets at a time with the 1000ml's. Maybe it is my flipping technique that is causing the problem? I flip once after every agitation per minute.
    If it were me, I'd do more sheets, together, with continuous flipping. I routinely develop 20 or more sheets of 4x5 and 5x7 using deep but narrow containers.

Too much agitation is better than too little