Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 and Super Angulon 5.6 90 XL

Chamonix 045N-2 and Super Angulon 5.6 90 XL

Hi All,

I recently bought a new Chamonix 045N-2 and before that i bought a Super Angulon 5.6 90 XL through this forum. Its a beautiful lens but now i am having problem with attaching the lens to camera.

Its is been mounted on Shenhao board and i think that works fine with Chamonix. The issue is the back element is too big for the camera to fix in.

Does anyone has any suggestions on how to fix it or am i out of luck using this lens.

Thanks all,
    Sivaram

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 and Super Angulon 5.6 90 XL

Hi Sivaram,
    take the camera back and screw the rear element of the lens from behind the camera to the lensbord.
    That works good with most of these huge lenses.
    Best
    Heiko

you bought the carriage before the horse.
    the 45n-2 doesn't have enough movements to justify that lens so i'd sell it and get something else like the nikkor 90mm sw 4.5, it fits and that's what I use on mine. Heiko's suggestion is the only way around it but a pain in the ass in the field and not good for your lens in the long haul.

Heiko,

Thanks for the reply, If i understand correctly, you want me to remove the bellows or remove the back and screw the lens rare element to board every time i use this lens ?

Thanks
    Prasad

Vinny,

Yes unfortunately i did bought the carriage before the horse as the horse takes few months to arrive after placing the order . Thanks for the suggestion... Now i guess i need to find a Nikon or another 90 mm which fits this camera.

Thanks
    Sivaram

You don't need to remove the bellows, just the ground glass. There are latches on the top of the rear standard that allow you to take that part off (and you can rotate it, if you need to change from landscape to portrait or vice versa).

to make life easier, you can assemble the camera so that the front standard is close to the rear standard, take the back off, put the lensboard with the front element into the front standard, and then screw the rear element in. Easy, but annoying to have to do that when changing lenses.

David,

Thanks. That is exactly what i did and able to mount the lens to camera. Just bit annoying if i need to change the lens.

Thanks again,
    Sivaram

Photographer

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    you bought the carriage before the horse.
    the 45n-2 doesn't have enough movements to justify that lens so i'd sell it and get something else like the nikkor 90mm sw 4.5, it fits and that's what I use on mine. Heiko's suggestion is the only way around it but a pain in the ass in the field and not good for your lens in the long haul.

Agree with Vinny. You'll agree too when you fumble that rear element.
    Keith Pitman

There are lots of great 90mm lenses out there. If you don't need the huge image circle of the 90xl, you could sell it and go for the non-XL version, or a Grandagon, etc.

If you do need the huge movements allowed by the 90xl, then trade the chamonix in for a monorail...

I had that problem with a Walker and my Nikkor 120 SW my favorite lens. Mounting it by unscrewing the rear element was a PITA and more than once I almost dropped it. So I sold the camera. Later I met Walker at a trade show and he said it would have been no problem for him to drill out the front standard so it would fit. Too late and I really liked that camera. You might try this with the manufacturer or talk to Richard Ritter.

However! That lens is overkill for that camera. I agree with the recommendations above.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"