Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Source for closed-cell foam for custom backpack

Source for closed-cell foam for custom backpack

Hi -

I'm creating a custom backpack camera case, and I'm looking for a source (preferably local in NYC) for closed-cell foam. I've thought about buying an insert for a Pelican case from B&H and cutting it down to size, but I've heard bad things about their pick and pluck stuff falling apart after a while.

Any thoughts?

You shouldn't have a problem finding something in NYC. I live in Portland, OR, and it was easy enough to find photo dark-gray foam that was firm enough for my needs. Shopping makes a difference. I cut my cost nearly in half for the same foam by making a few more calls.

As for cutting, consider using an electric knive. It's still not optimum, but it's better than using a kitchen knive. Also consider drawing a black outline of where you want to cut on both sides of your foam. This allows you to monitor your cutting better. While you might be close on the side towards the knife's handle, the other side can drift significantly.

Thanks for the info! I'm not even sure where to start looking for foam though - what sort of stores were you calling, since I haven't had too much luck finding a "foam" store in the yellow pages ;-)

Thanks,

--Tim

Try dumpster diving behind the Pottery Barn.

You might find ground pads that go under sleeping-bags will work well. Isn't there a bed/foam store on Canal Street?
    John V.
    ScanHi-End Moderator

Look up McMaster-Carr. Should be www.mcmaster.com/ Look under raw materials and you will find foam. They have an extensive selection of open and closed cell foam (kinda pricey, but it's the best I've ever found). You won't believe how fast they ship and how soon you'll get it.

An upholstery supply store can offer lots of types of foam at pretty reasonable prices. Furniture upholstery, not auto.

Tim, There's a really good foam shop on Canal St.on the north side somewhere between broadway and wooster(?). Also The Set Shop sells the softer type foam cut to pelican case sizes. Andy.

Try getting a foam pad for backpacking. There are some available that are about 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick, closed cell, and plenty large. You can laminate a few layers to get thicker foam where needed.

Tim,

New York is a long way from Sydney but over here I buy my foam from a company that makes cases for the motion picture and music industry. It is available in a variety of thicknesses and they just cut me a piece from a big sheet. I then do the 'fitting' with the afforementioned electric knife.

A similar sort of business must be in your area.