Thread: Transplanting a wideangle Aristostigmat - please advise

Transplanting a wideangle Aristostigmat - please advise

Hello,
    I have a 80mm WW Aristostigmat in a Vario shutter. The shutter is pretty limited and I would prefer a Compur/Compur Rapid shutter (1950 or so ). Can it be transplanted? The diameter of the lens seems much smaller than the lenses I have in Compur. Also there are no spanner guides. Do I need special equipment?
    Thanks
    Giovanni Maria

Re: Transplanting a wideangle Aristostigmat - please advise

Giovanni, the first post in this discussion http://www.largeformatphotography.in...mainly)-lenses has links to information on shutters' dimensions. Your Vario is probably a #00, look up Compur #00 dimensions -- front tube diameter and threading (rear tube is the same) and tube length. Then measure the Vario. If it is a #00, start looking for a Compur or Prontor Press #00.

The lens cells shouldn't have slots for a spanner, the retaining ring, if present, should.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Thanks, Dan. So to remove the cells, I should use some sort of wrench with cloth to avoid damage?

Grasp gently, with a cloth if that will make you feel better, and unscrew. For measuring, unscrew only one cell.

The rear tube diameter reads around 27, which would indicate a Vario 2 and, according to the catalog, a front tube diameter of 29. Does it make sense? All the other shutters have equal rear and front diameters. It is not a #00, and it is smaller than #0 (29.5 diameter).
    Puzzled.

Yes, it makes sense. You're cooked, sorry, limited to the Vario's four speeds, unless you can find, e.g., an Ibsor #2.

Which format do you want to use your 80 mm Aristostigmat on? I ask because there are other 80 mm lenses in newer shutters. For example, my 80/6.3 Wide Field Ektar covers as much as 6x12.

I want to use it on my Bergheil 9x12. From the (very initial ) tests I did on my Sinar, it looks like a nice lens. I'll be on the look for a Ibsor and other small 80's. Thank you very much for your help.

loujon

F64

Most times when using wide angle lenses you'll be fairly well stopped down so you'll be needing bulb or time for several second + exposures. Does your present shutter have T&B or one of the two? If so why not try the WA Ariostigmat in it's shutter and see how it performs before you look for replacement shutter or another coated WA Ariostigmat. The post WWII East German WA Ariostigmats had single factory coating and are f6.3 versus the older Hugo Myers 1st version f9/ later version f6.3 pre WWII WA Ariostigmat w/out factory coating.

This WA lens being a Gaussian design has 8 air to glass surfaces and if not at least single coated it can really flair & show really low contrast. If it's not a single coated you may want to sell this in it's shutter and look for a coated version or a better period design. Like WA Dagor or Angulon where there is only 4 air to glass surfaces.

Lou, Aristostigmat Weitwinkel cheap, w/a Dagor expensive.

@Louis: words of wisdom, Louis. I was more interested in slow speeds, in fact. But I can probably manage anyway: it does have a B and a T. Better see how it works in real situations. Your remarks on design and coating are right to the point.
    And Dan is right: in fact, the Aristostigmat is extremely cheap, as I already bought it. For great quality, I have a Grandagon 90, but that's very bulky, whereas the Aristostigmat is really tiny.